Sword expert compares Kamikoto kitchen knives to a freebie knife. The freebie is just as good

Originally published at: Sword expert compares Kamikoto kitchen knives to a freebie knife. The freebie is just as good | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I stopped the vid once he was done with his Japanese vs Australian thing.

9 Likes

I think you misspelled “Person on the Internet with Opinions about Swords”.

10 Likes

I have Wusthof / Damascus steel / and various other high dollar knives I picked up in my cheffing career. Still my go to is the Dollar Store special Chef Knife I dug up from the bottom of a kitchen utensil bin.

Any steel can be sharpened to razor, but cheap steel needs to be sharpened more often, I like to sharpen my knives, it’s therapeutic and I always have a sharp knife to work with.

19 Likes

a tad distasteful to be sure. i also dropped out then. and now i do not care what he has to say about the knife. and also 52 minutes? that is a much deeper dive than i was prepared to make.

7 Likes

That’s selling him short. He also has opinions about machicolations.

3 Likes

“Expert” is always a fuzzy term. Shadiverstiy definitely knows more about swords than 99.99% of the population. But if you judge him by the standards you’d apply to an academic, his knowledge is inconsistent and his evidence unforgivably sloppy.

In any case, I do think he knows enough about blades to be able to tell a good knife from a mediocre one, and be able to explain why.

6 Likes

That’s when I shut the video off as well. I think his excuse of why he should be able to mock a Japanese accent actually made it worse. He basically just All Lives Mattered it. The knife may be garbage, but so is he.

7 Likes

I’ll be honest; As long as I keep them sharp, the 10 year old knives I bought from IKEA work just fine. (the chef’s knife in that set was a whole $50.) last year I had some extra money so I pieced together a new set of Victorinox Fibrox knives for about 250-300. They’ve been good so far.

(I’ll be honest- I don’t do chef for a living, so the likelihood of something from Cutco getting put in the block is pretty low, especially considering those prices…)

2 Likes

The sharpest knife in the universe is that weird old blade at the back of the cutlery draw. You don’t know where it came from, and the blade has been sharpened so much it is a weird wibbly shape.

Shad, like Lindeybeige, seems incapable of coming to a concise point.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

6 Likes

Welcome aboard, comrade. I was tickled to find that Shad is Jazza’s brother.

Yeah, he’s pretty well-known for using “SJW” unironically and calling everyone he doesn’t like a communist, as well as the racist/sexist/homophobic stuff that he too casually, and progressively more frequently, includes in his videos.

7 Likes

Do you even watch these videos before you post them? Like, a minute in and it’s pretty clear this is shit.

1 Like

Exactly the same here. I love pulling a nicely sharpened knife out of its holder and saying “Voila!”

1 Like

This is what I think I look like, but in fact I have beard, just to keep it honest.

2 Likes

Schwing!

1 Like

I watched it. It was an overly long video with some pretty crappy testing, and lots, and lots of hyperbolic “I can’t believe it!” reactions and laughing.

Throughout the entire video he never once mentions one of the key issues, which is that in spite of the Kamikoto marketing constantly referring to Japanese steel and using Japanese markings and other associations to try to imply the knives are handmade in Japan,they are Chinese made knives. He he talks about Chinese steel that is possibly better, but never seems to make the actual conclusion that they are made in China. His “research” was inadequate for all the hype he put into his video.

10 Likes

Wasn’t really deep. Just long. Really, really long.

1 Like

star wars lack of faith GIF

2 Likes

His entirely subjective testing made me yearn for a Project Farm video.