10 most sampled music tracks of all time

That’s sheer cultural ignorance, and I see it a LOT in people I know under 25. I have a 19 year old nephew and a friend who’s 24, and the things they’re utterly (and, weirdly, proudly) ignorant about are legion. Star Wars? Ghostbusters? Indiana Jones? The Beatles? Any movie made before 2005 or so? Those are for old people. To them the only media that matters are video games, YouTube, and Japanese/Korean animation.

My favorite band after KMFDM.

A world of information at their fingertips, and they are watching Michael Bay films. This is probably how Michael Bay keeps making money. None of them know better.

My dad always had the oldies station on on car rides. Back when that meant 50s and 60s music. So I have a decent knowledge of the music from way before I was born. You can’t even find 50s rock on the radio except for a “50s rock hour” on Sundays. 60s is hard to find too. 70s and 80s are oldies now.

2 Likes

This video is informative, but it’s also the cure for insomnia.

1 Like

Absolutely, I was brought up on a steady diet of 60s and early-70s “oldies” and my dad’s vinyl collection: Beatles, Rolling Stones, Credence, Ike & Tina Turner.

Happily my 6 year old nephew has a like-minded dad who’s made him a big fan of Star Wars, classic rock, and always supplements his viewing of comic book movies with reading the classic comics that inspired it with him. When my nephew told me he liked Marvel a lot, I thought he meant he’d seen The Avengers a bunch of times, but then he told me that Fin Fang Foom was awesome because he wears purple shorts, so I knew he was getting a deeply geeky education.

2 Likes

Meh I have worked with boomers who were unaware of some of the more influential bands of their time.

While I can’t play I was interested in who the musicians listened to so would end up working my way back in time or find a current day artist that is great stuff that I probably would never had heard of if I just listened to the radio.

My 17 year old son is locked into 65-75, mostly folk rock like Dylan-CCR-Young. He just learned Tangled Up in Blue on the guitar. I tell him he needs to diversify at least to the recent revivals of such music like Mumford!

2 Likes

Yeah, that guy definitely has an Ambien voice but it’s still quite interesting to watch.

What’s with the random guy sitting down in the folding chair in front of the turntable?

That and the narration by Ben Stein on barbiturates gave me waking dreams of paint peeling in a VFW hall on the Kenai Peninsula.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.