10 reported killed in Oregon college shooting

It is relevant. Quite relevant. But a concealed carrier that suddenly realized that their involvement would escalate the issue and feels good about acknowledging that…?

To be clear I not arguing with you. I am raging against the ‘good guy with a gun’ meme.

Know what would be even more effective than a gun? A radio or walkie talkie.

4 Likes

I mean, the thing is that the good-guy-with-a-gun meme is true. The shooter didn’t stop until the cops showed up. The problem is the gun-culture advocates are not taking responsibility for the bad guys with guns that their own culture creates.

1 Like

In a technical sense yes, but the stance advocated by many is that a layperson, not LEO, with a gun can stop violent crime in a safe and predictable manner.

That is the assertion I dispute, and from the quote it appears the concealed carry folks finally came to that conclusion as well.

Again, I’m not arguing with you :smiley:

2 Likes

#Well duh!#

Everyone knows that the good guys will have green writing about their heads and the bad guys will have red.

2 Likes

Hm. Who brought up race?

I’m trying to remember where I pulled the first sentence; it might have been Wayne LaPierre. It’s interesting that people got so angry at it as a whole, because I literally took a pullquote from Feminist Frequency and paraphrased it, replacing misogyny with gun violence.

And wow, do people disagree strongly that mass media can reinforce violent behavior. I’m sure that because of the gimmicky trick I used, it’ll be dismissed as driving trollies. And…despite paraphrasing a beloved social commentator, I think there might be more than a grain of truth to it. Just how much of a role does mass media play, anyway? Is casual violence as damaging as casual misogyny and racism?

That’s not actually true.

Pretty weak. Oh, these countries have had 1 - 4 mass killings in a decade or two. Meanwhile, we have 1-4 every month or two.

1 Like

It’s only artisanal if you try to sell it.

Otherwise it’s just baking.

Their gun culture not create it.

Psychosis does.

If we look at what causes psychosis, we might move ourselves forward somewhat.

Meanwhile the drug industry took note of my comment…

1 Like

Just always amused at the cross-section of gun rights-activists (not owners.)

Y’know, it doesn’t even begin to surprise me that you never did. It’s always easier to just pronounce how impractical any attempts to address this problem are, and then move on to saying it again in the next mass-shooting thread next month.

1 Like

I’ll just leave this here.

Oh for fuck’s sake.

1 Like

I promised a dancing banana I’d give it a rest for a bit.

From your link:

“It is a sad, sad situation,” said McCoig. “We hope this don’t ever happen again.”

Fine, they’re not taking responsibility for their “psychosis” then.

Quite possibly valid in that the psychotic can get treatment, but as a group tends to feel better and stop taking whatever began to make them feel better.

The shooter’s mother is a gun nut. She moved them both to Oregon specifically for the lax gun laws. She was hoarding weapons because Obama was coming to take away her freedoms.

Oregon Shooter’s Mom Talked About Family’s Arsenal Of Guns

EXCLUSIVE: Mom of Oregon mass killer stockpiled firearms out of fear of stricter gun laws, took son to shooting range

Oregon shooter’s paranoid mum 'kept firearm STOCKPILE in case US tightened gun laws’

This was a gun-culture family and a gun-culture massacre.

And California successfully expelled this hazard from itself by being inhospitable to it.

4 Likes

Uh…did you even read my comment before you spewed that?

The thing I was refuting was that white people just go where they will ,willy-nilly, la-dee-da, no worries. I’m saying that, at least in my experience, racism is driven by irrational fear (white flight, refusing to drive through certain parts of town, refusing to hire “thugs”, etc.)

But apparently my saying that gives you the moral high ground…? Not sure what you’re trying to say, other than, “Hey, look at me, I’m an asshat.” Lord knows that a person who, you know, came from the region that has one of the most racist cities in the U.S. might know a thing or two about casual racism, but we’re getting off track here.

Keep threatening restrictions on a resource, and people will hoard the resource.

Happened with lightbulbs (luckily people are cheating it and so lightbulbs still can be bought; I use them as a nonlinear resistor for current limiting applications, inter alia). Happened with mercury thermometers (the medical galinstan replacement can’t be shaken down so easily, the electronic ones drift like mad, and the restriction involves even the lab ones, apparently; guess I have to be extra careful with my ones). Happens with chemicals; I myself had to stock up with 30% hydrogen peroxide I use for circuitboard etching because European Union in its unlimited wisdom decided it is an explosive precursor and needs paperwork to buy, which most of the shops are unwilling to do so don’t stock it anymore - and with its tendency to decompose and therefore limited shelf life I can not keep a long-term supply. I missed the deadline to stock up with dichloromethane so here goes the vapor degreaser I wanted to build (other low-boiling solvents are either nauseatingly expensive or running a risk of blowing myself up).

So there’s little wonder that under the threat of limiting a supply of guns some people stock up with guns.

I bet there are people out there who would scorn me for the peroxide and argue that I don’t need it.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.