108-degree heat expected to scorch England, smashing records

The “swamp coolers” that depend on absorbing heat to evaporate water won’t work when the air is already saturated, so don’t bother with a wet cloth in front of a fan.

17 Likes

As a native of Florida (I know, I know), and as an American (I KNOOOOW), I feel it is my patriotic duty to send my compatriots across the pond my Thoughts and Prayers. That fixes everything… right?

For real, though, I’m sorry you all are being forced to deal with this. My state is actively being overtaken by the ocean and almost no one here believes in man-made climate change (“The climate has always changed”, they shout smugly, as if an intellectual argument has been won). All that fortification around Miami is just for shits-an-giggles! The idea that England is going full Florida is truly terrifying. Sending internet-love and fairy farts your way… stay safe, friends.

24 Likes

yTYYNtw7Eb9Uy0yb2gmKkALJfcU=

13 Likes
12 Likes

At least 500 died from last year’s Canadian heatwave. They should send the Tory MPs around to pick up the dead, they can show off their stiff upper lip.

24 Likes

I’m working at Farnborough airport this week. 37C today, but humidity hasnt been too bad, thankfully, and the breeze was welcome. Working in the aircraft is like being in an oven though.

28 Likes

The names mentioned in the linked article are more likely to piss on the corpses than help anyone.

22 Likes

Would that MP be singing a different tune if his home and/or office’s air conditioner wasn’t working?

10 Likes

This is what I don’t get about the Dyson fans.

For £340 you can just buy a window air conditioner. A pretty big, nice one probably.

5 Likes

Is it really humid in the UK now, too? Last time I was in London it was 97ºF for a day for a day and I don’t remember it being particularly muggy. Weather app says the dew point is currently 47º which suggests it’s pretty not humid.

(Sorry, as a American I take pride in having a good grasp of the whole metric system thing when it comes to measurement and weight and stuff but the whole celsius thing still baffles me for some reason.)

1 Like

It isn’t really humid, and there is quite a nice breeze in London. Glad I am not working outdoors though.

7 Likes

It’s hot but it’s a dry heat. The problem in London is the air in the underground system. I remember the Bakerloo Line being like an outer circle of Hell.

12 Likes

It turned out to be a dry heat, but generally it is a good idea to plan on any heat wave in Britain being humid.

It was (and still is) too hot for me. I’ve been running air con all day for health reasons. Fans just weren’t enough.

20 Likes

It sounds like you’re quite lucky to have AC!

12 Likes

The above-ground trains aren’t faring much better, what with the heat warping the tracks and all. Transportation in general seems to be screwed.

https://www.axios.com/2022/07/18/heat-wave-disrupts-uk-rail-traffic

17 Likes

Spare a thought for the French, Spanish, Portuguese (and lots of other European countries) who are experiencing similar conditions.

25 Likes

one Conservative MP said anyone preparing for it is a “coward” and a “snowflake.”

People like that should be given the day off to go the beach. No, really, we insist. In fact, here’s a nice solid beach-chair we’re going to chain you to, to make sure you fully “enjoy” the experience.

14 Likes

They need to be pitchforked out of those offices and into the full glare of the sun. With no sunscreen and no water. Fuckwits!

ETA I see @Shuck beat me to the same sentiment by a few minutes.

6 Likes

https://twitter.com/LailaLalami/status/1549078237002665985

17 Likes

Why spare him? The beaches have been cooler than the rest of the country. Get him to do a hard day of outdoors labouring, in nearby Peterborough.

In fact, get all the Tory leadership candidates to do the same. If they want to claim to be the party of the working classes then they can prove it to the country.

20 Likes