108-degree heat expected to scorch England, smashing records

Well, the outside temp. will never precisely feel like the “real” temperature considering sun, humidity, and other factors, but in the controlled environment of the inside I can often feel the difference of a degree of Fahrenheit. So wanting more accurate readings of outside temperatures may be somewhat a psychological thing.

However, if it goes from 64°F to 65°F, it can be easily seen to be getting hotter, and of course, the reverse. It takes longer to note these changes when using Centigrade as none of my temperature readings used decimals.

7 Likes

First Dog on the Moon FTW!!!

8 Likes

But that’s almost a half a degree in freedom units!

How do you cope!

That depends if you’re in Florida or not.

Easy solution is to never be in Florida.

10 Likes

22 Likes

I would have thought that was a thing to which one would say “only in America”.

I heard they’re keeping the weed in Greenland, just to F with people.

3 Likes

Temperate twenties, thirsty thirties, flaming forties.

4 Likes

Throughout the summer months here at the lab (we’re in the SoCal high desert), many days require limiting the outdoors work hours for our techs. Sometimes work even gets canceled due to the heat. Those having to work with little to no shade use wetted down cooling hats. They swear by it. Some of the techs use good quality spray bottles for fine-misting water onto themselves. Evaporative cooling. Something to consider if you’re in a position to safely spritz water on yourself while working. :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

Don’t forget to also thank most of your friends and neighbors; they gleefully drove around in their cars, SUVs and pickup trucks after voting for politicians that kept gas prices low, used lots of fossil fuel generated electricity and did all the other things serious environmentalists warned about as being contributors to global warming.

5 Likes

If we get as far as knackering the polar ice caps and therefore knackering the gulf stream, the UK might end up cooling under climate change overall.

In a seriously bad way. In a “the land becomes comparable to a barely inhabited section of the east coast of Canada” sense.

8 Likes

21 Likes
8 Likes

The direct-sunshine temp one sees on these units is kinda meaningless, though.

The British temperature record may have been broken and it isn’t even the hottest part of the day yet.

19 Likes

Thanks. I hate it.

14 Likes

Farnborough. This is the air temperature in the shade.

23 Likes

What’s that in real numbers?

21 Likes

23 Likes

Yikes. I was out for 10 minutes in it yesterday, an activity I will not be repeating today.

Good luck :+1:

19 Likes

To all BBers facing a heat wave - stay hydrated, stay in the shade, and stay safe! :hot_face:

18 Likes