108-degree heat expected to scorch England, smashing records

My reaction as well. Both the war itself, and cremating millions of people in just a few years.

11 Likes

Where I grew up humidity parks itself at 80-90% for much of July and all of August. Summer temps usually don’t pass 85f/29c for more than a few days at a stretch.

But it’s absolutely bonkers walking around in it. You can’t dry off after a shower, condensation will drip down your walls. We tend to be running AC even when the temp is much lower, to combat the damp.

4 Likes

Indeed - and weirdly, I have that shirt…

12 Likes

I have a chronic disease and when I get too hot my limbs don’t work right. I have an ice vest and a cooling bandanna. I’m going to also try wetting down my hat!

12 Likes

My understanding that a hat used for cooling would work best if it was porous. Just saying. :slightly_smiling_face:

spelling!

4 Likes

It’s 1:47AM and 78°F here in Detroit. The heat index is 79°!

7 Likes

Just started it. The first chapter is one of the most harrowing things I’ve read in fiction - and the fact that it’s very likely an event that will happen IRL sooner than later doesn’t help.

3 Likes
7 Likes

Fortunately it only lasted two days and is now a more expected temperature. Hope Germany has a similar experience.

EDIT I mean, this time it was only two days. Next time could be longer.

7 Likes

Yup. It was haunting.

Neal Stephenson’s Termination Shock is a lighter take on the topic.

Both excellent novels.

7 Likes
9 Likes
11 Likes

That story is from

25 July 2018

2 Likes

Yeah. There is another from today, but that one looked more interesting.

8 Likes
6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.