11 levels of origami: easy to complex

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/20/11-levels-of-origami-easy-to.html

1 Like

Calling Dr. Lang “an origami artist” is like referring to Picasso as “a painter” or Michael Jordan as “a basketball player”.

1 Like

Well, that’s “technically correct” for you.

As an aspiring origamist, I am well familiar with Robert Lang’s work. His Origami Design Secrets book is about the best text I’ve read on the depths within the art form. It’s…very analytical, and might put you off if you prefer to look at such things from a less mathematical and more aesthetic viewpoint, but Dr. Lang is a genius, and if you like origami, you should read as much of his writing as you can.

2 Likes

As soon as I saw the video featured Dr. Lang, I knew my level wasn’t going to be very high. :laughing: During my initial lessons, only the advanced students would attempt his models.

Even looking at the diagrams in his books, when he explains every little fold, I’m like, “how in the shit?” There is an amazing degree of precision required.

2 Likes

His would be the last models I’d try with foil. As my teacher was fond of saying, “Foil never forgets.”

1 Like

Yet they pretty much have to be done with foil, or at least very very thin paper, because they are so precisely detailed.

1 Like

I just need to take one of his level 11 works completely apart and prove that its from a square piece of paper.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.