11 movies that made less than $400 at the U.S. box office

Zyzzyx doesn’t look terrible. Bad, yes. Terrible, no.

1 Like

In addition to the Highland Park Village Theater, There was another ‘dumping ground’ in Dallas; the AMC Glen Lakes 8 off of North Central Expressway.

I used to love that theater. It was never too crowded, had great popcorn and as long as the ticket person didn’t look too close, I could use my long expired Richland College ID for a discount.

1 Like

Oh man, my brother used to work there. He’d sneak me in every weekend for free movies and popcorn. Loved that place.

1 Like

For a movie that cost about $15 to make, that’s not a bad return at all!

should have had the honorable mention of United Passions

1 Like

I liked Storage 24, actually. A pretty good film, all told. Too bad it didn’t do well at the box office.

1 Like

It did decently overseas. Not anything to really get excited about, but not a massive failure given its low budget. Grossed over the equivalent of US200,000 in the UK on its opening weekend, for instance.

Its US box office draw isn’t surprising though, as the article significantly overstates its theatrical run. It wasn’t played in 1 theatre for 1 week. It was played in 1 theatre for 1 day. (And then was promptly released on VOD services the very next day.)

3 Likes

Should that kind of thing even count for box office? Or be marked with an asterisk to note ‘we were playing contract games’?

4 Likes

I am offended this didn’t get more likes!

Should have been a fictionalized biography of this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtis_Howe_Springer

I’ll admit that I’m incredibly curious as to why it played for so short a period. Was it required to get a US theatrical release in the distribution contract, perhaps? It had already been out on BluRay in Europe for several months by then, from what I can tell from IMDB.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.