14% of Americans -- 48 million people -- are "food insecure," and it's about to get much worse

Contrast with the general attitude in red states…

11 Likes

Hey, you’re losing them. Give 'em a Gooky!

1 Like

It’s the basic tenet of our culture. What, you don’t like culture?

1 Like

4 Likes

Well 98.6% of the workforce doesn’t even bother working in agriculture. Such a nation of lazy slackers. If those people aren’t producing food, why do they deserve any to eat?

The 1.42% who do produce food make more than twice enough to feed everyone in the country, and a lot to export, and even more to burn as fuel! Shouldn’t 98.6% of the population just sit there and starve on top of mountains of rotting food for not contributing enough to the massive surpluses?

The three-month-rule looks ridiculous to me. I remember the days when you could easily get a job within 2 weeks in a decent-sized city, but not everyone lives in the city and of course, jobless people on food stamps can’t easily afford to move, and hiring just doesn’t work that way anymore. It’s not uncommon to encounter interview processes (with background checks, credit checks, etc.) that take many months nowadays, even in the city.

8 Likes

Sometime next spring I’ll be looking for a new job and I anticipate it with dread. It’s been a good while since I’ve had to do it, and my last two jobs were acquired through employment agencies (temp-to-hire), which is generally easier. A few years ago one of my co-workers was talking about her daughter’s job-hunting travails, which involved getting called back for a third interview . . . for a retail job. JFC :dizzy_face:

7 Likes

It isn’t the most fun… On one hand I am not working at the bomb factory anymore and while it was fun the internal politics was getting maddening. On the other hand one of the things that kept me from just jumping ship was 4 weeks of vacation which I definitely won’t have anymore.

5 Likes

“Mr. President, the citizens are revolting!”

“Boy, are you telling me!”

4 Likes

Ha-ha-ha, at’sa great.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.