14 second clip shows why no-one can trust cops

Originally published at: 14 second clip shows why no-one can trust cops | Boing Boing

16 Likes

Why tag it “BAD COPS” when it’s pretty clear it should just be “COPS”?

45 Likes

Good apples move in mysterious ways, presumably.

Or ACAB.

Yup, ACAB.

26 Likes

“i’m probably going to do something questionable, I better move that camera.”

42 Likes

Just showing the true “us vs them” mentality the police have. One day they will really do something that is gonna get the public to snap and it will not be pretty when the police stations get stormed and it looks like Arnold in Terminator going through them.

23 Likes

“You know, building trust with the community would make your jobs much easier, right?”

“Yeah, but we get paid the same either way and the power trip is like the only fringe benefit.”

57 Likes
16 Likes

I mean, if there were lots of good cops, presumably they would be publicly calling out their colleagues over this stuff. But that only seems to happen after people have left/been forced out of policing. The collective failure of police to even say “we need to be better” leads me to think that every cop wants this sort of option in their back pocket.

35 Likes

What’s the purpose of this? Is it because he never consented to be filmed? I wonder what his thought process was.
I never consented to be filmed at my banks ATM, yet I don’t go covering the camera every time I’m withdrawing money.

21 Likes

It’s a good thing that wasn’t an armed camera that decided to stand its ground rather than be tampered with.

(I’m quite sure that domestic armed cameras are only a heartbeat away in our dystopian future. I’d certainly consider buying one whose outer shell could deliver an electric shock if any tampering attempt were made.)

18 Likes

32 Likes

It’s frustrating to see this behavior.

13 Likes

I would think that if one felt one needed a camera on the door, put up a fake decoy for criminals like this and buy one that’s very small and inconspicuous for the real working one.

28 Likes

One could maybe router a tight hole for the camera to set and then plexiglass over it. But that probably is over kill for something that won’t happen again.

So why did this guy even stop by?

6 Likes

This isn’t as bad as it looks.

The cop is probably taking down the camera because bad guys use cameras to ambush the cops. The Reolink camera is simply twist-mounted to the base (we have some), it can be disconnected with no harm done. Now, if he had actually done any damage in the process I would be far more upset.

How so?

21 Likes

So he was protecting himself, while walking casually up to someone’s house by themselves? And a camera mounted to someone’s house, used to ambush the copy when they are at the person’s front door?

26 Likes

Mmm, tasty boot!

42 Likes

It would likely be quicker and easier (less bloodshed) if we just defund the police and disband existing corrupt offices.

26 Likes

Yes, yes it is.

45 Likes