$160 dock makes 12" MacBook more usable (but maybe just wait for a more usable Macbook)

I SO wish they would make another 17". If you do a lot of graphics or music, you really need that screen space.

3 Likes

i remember making some classmates very agitated when I my feet accidentally trod on some power strips located on the floor beneath the desks. Oops. Gotta run!

I love my 17. The 1080 screen is still high enough res for me. And Iā€™ve got three USB ports, an express 334 slot, ethernet, audio in and out, monitor out, magsafe power and a CD/DVD drive. But, I do envy my friendā€™s who drop their little notebook into any old thing to take with them. You have to really want to take a 17" laptop with you. There are plenty of things it just wonā€™t fit into, and you need to take the power adapter unless you really like watching the battery meter drain down fast enough it feels like you can see it moving.

So, yes, dammit, Apple needs to stop making everything smaller for the sake of being smaller. And stop taking every port off of their devices, too. The single USB-C port crap is ridiculous.

2 Likes

What about a little piece of metal sheet, or perhaps a thin coin, and a piece of tape? A flip-off cover for the button.

If I still had my Beige Mac from the period in Appleā€™s history that should be forgotten I would make a simple safety cover. Iā€™ve got a bit of an unrealized fetish for them. Maybe convert the switch to the classic toggle switch with the red safety cover.

2 Likes

Reminds me I should design some 3d-printable molly guards and flip-off coversā€¦

1 Like

Heh, yep Iā€™m an old man, but I can still do more on this old clunker than most people know how to do with their multi-cored expensive wafers.
From memory, itā€™s the M740, overclocked to 2.13GHz. 915GM graphics and 15" 1500x1040 screen.
It doesnā€™t get to travel, so I 86ed the battery, and with the SSD ad no optical drive its more like 5lbs.
One day I might sell this puppy on, at a loss of about 50 euro :wink:
You can make me upgrade my laptop, but if you want me to upgrade this:

• youā€™ll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands :stuck_out_tongue:
3 Likes

Something else - I never have this problem:

1 Like

Hey! Browsing facebook-- what with all the ads and the scripts and the interstitial content takes grunt.

Yep, unfortunately facebook is a pig, and they call al that progress, apparentlyā€¦ these are the things that may force me to upgrade - well, that and possibly wanting to encode video, but Iā€™m not in that game, so far.
Until then, I just use m.facebook.com and m.twitter.com, etc

Also, weā€™ve gone from BBS to IRC, to IM to ā€˜social mediaā€™ sites, and now backwards to apps like facebook messenger etc (which boil down to mini website apps running in their own browser). Luckily, weā€™re also seeing the death of Flash, which is a relief.

As far as I can tell, my only problem will be playing stuff like H265 encoded files (which donā€™t fit on my screen anyway), and I can get a media player for my tv for next to nothing these days.

BTW, hereā€™s a use for your Macbook when you get sick of it:

Oh, and I do actually own a quad core processor, I think, in my Nexus 7 (2013) so Iā€™m a little more up-to-date overall. I was thinking of getting one of those fancy bluetooth keyboards, then Iā€™d have, erā€¦ aā€¦ laptop?

3 Likes

No, I donā€™t have a laptop, much less a 2015 macbook. I DROP THINGS, and so the appeal of a laptop thatā€™s truly portable would be short lived, and end in tears. Instead, I have an iMac 5K, which justified itself on the basis of its extraordinary screen. And yeah, it runs windows when it needs to.

1 Like

What about something like this?

Yeah, my ipadā€™s case is sort of like that. The extra weight kind of changes the ergonomics of it though: The ā€œshakeā€ gesture becomes a cute affectation rather than staying in the realm of plausibility.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.