17 facts about "The Blair Witch Project"

I once worked on a TV series that aired on ABC. It was set in NYC, but to keep the budget manageable they shot in Vancouver. There were plenty of scenes of our heroes fleeing on foot through crowded city streets, but apparently nobody told the Transportation or Set Dressing departments that ABC had a pretty strict policy against featuring (or even showing) corporate logos in shows that did not have a product-placement deal in place. So instead of popping off all the automaker logos on set, we had to remove them all with VFX. Which got pretty surreal when we had to digitally erase the VW logo off the hood of a Beetle. Yā€™know, so nobody would know what kind of car it was.

6 Likes

Surprised this wasnā€™t mentioned before. The ad campaign was a very clever and hugely influential early example of using the internet for creating hype. Having IMDB list the actors as ā€œMissing, presumed deadā€, anyone?

Without the whole ā€œis it real or notā€ buzz I doubt there would be much interest in what is essentially a zero budget, no-famous-names fake documentary with the harshest, most viewer-unfriendly aesthetic since dogme 95.

This is very true. They were very clever about not denying that the three lead actors might have actually died; the filmmakers asked them to stay out of the public eye and they did everything they could to further the rumor that Blair Witch was actually made from footage found after these kids had really died. The no-frills shakeycam aesthetic fit that story idea perfectly.

1 Like

thatā€™s awful. But link to the topic is ā€¦ ??

I stood no chance. I was only about 19 years oldā€¦ We went and saw it pretty early after its release, without reading much of anything about it, and before it was too hyped-up. We genuinely had no idea about how it was made, and it was kind of the first of its type. It was an evening showing. By the time the bundle of teeth shows up weā€™re already pretty freaked out. When the final shot in the basement hits us, and the movie just ENDS with clipped screamingā€“no resolution, no gradual taking-you-out-of-the-experience denouement, just a bunch of horrible unanswered fearsā€¦ well, we got to follow that up by driving home in the dark down a winding, wooded highway, to my parentsā€™ house with a big lot of woods behind it (I was home from college for the summer). I really donā€™t remember how I managed to get to sleep that night, but I know I was afraid to close my eyes for a time.

Edit: At least if they had shown the ā€œwitchā€ at the end my brain would have been able to say, okay, that looks fake or I can see how they did that. But no. I got to live with my imaginationā€™s realer-than-real interpretation of all the hints and clues, which was much, much worse. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Iā€™m basing that on Europa Report being a ā€œfound footageā€ movie. While I really liked the non-traditional idea of how it was shown primarily from the shipā€™s cameras, I feel pretty strongly that Europa Report would have been a better movie if it had been told in a more traditional straightforward narrative. The found footage/flashback aspect of it I thought was just a convoluted distraction without really adding any meaning. Would Alien have been better told by the CEO of Weyland Yutani reviewing video footage from the Nostromo? No. TBWP was a (very successful) one off idea. Found Footage should only be used if it adds some sort of effect or meaning you wouldnā€™t get otherwise, like flashbacks or voice overs.

1 Like

I can confirm number 14 for myselfā€¦ I just canā€™t watch films shot POV like thatā€¦ makes me sick. Which is a shame, because there looks like some cool films in that styleā€¦

1 Like

Perhaps someday someoneā€™ll stabilize a version for those who canā€™t handle the camera motion.
Me personally, itā€™s the 3d movies I donā€™t like. Feels like eye-strain.

3 Likes

If I really want to see something, I might try taking a dramamine or another motion sickness medication, but that tends to make me sleepy, a bit.

Iā€™m not a huge fan of 3D eitherā€¦ the last one I saw in theaters was Coraline, but for the most part, if there is a film thats 3D, I go for the 2D showing (Iā€™m glad you usually get the option).

2 Likes

Really, I think Coraline made better use of 3D than any other movie Iā€™ve seen before or since.

3 Likes

It really didā€¦ It was a beautifully done film generally speaking.

1 Like

The only 3D film Iā€™ve seen was Wrath of the Titans, which was shite. But it would have been still shite (if less shite) in 2D. We only saw it in 3D because I screwed up the theatre timingsā€¦

I will not be interested in 3D until itā€™s the same price as seeing the film in 2D, itā€™s less murky, I donā€™t have to wear stupid glasses and I can control where my eyes can focus on (i.e., when itā€™s actual 3D, and never).

Itā€™s getting better. Even though Mad Max: Fury Road wasnā€™t shot in 3D (and the post conversion never works as well as shooting in 3D), the IMAX Laser 3D projection at the Chinese Theater was so good that I really enjoyed it in 3D. The picture was crisp and very bright, and the glasses were much less intrusive and heavy than they used to be. (They always bug me a lot since I wear prescription glasses too, but I didnā€™t mind these.)

The price, however, was nothing to sneeze at. $19.95 for an adult evening ticket (about a $3.00 markup from 2D). But the Chinese is expensive already, and that new IMAX screen is nothing to sniff at either.

I think that the ā€œfound footageā€ aspect worked well (more realistic, since there would be cameras everywhere), but that inserting a lot of nonlinearity into the editing of the story served it quite poorly. And I often like nonlinear. The editing was technically decent, but my guess is that they flashed forward and back so often to make the movie feel subjectively faster-paced. When I mentally linearized what I had seen, there were long, slow stretches in the same static settings. So they scrambled it all to avoid a slow ā€œ2001ā€ feeling, perhaps hoping to make it more engaging to people with a short attention span. But to me the shuffling felt superfluous, and I think it would have been a much better movie without it.

1 Like

I actually liked it, the one and only time I saw it. It was actually a novel idea at the time. What I hated was the hordes of imitators that thought that all they had to do is film with a handheld camera and their crappy horror movie would be a success.

I once saw a really good parody, with a title like, The Making of the Blair Witch Project: The Blair Witch Project Project. It supposedly was a documentary that followed the team making The Blair Witch Project as they got lost in the woods.

It got taken down from YouTube not long after I saw it, and I canā€™t even find a mention of it on Google ā€“ though my Google-fu is not strong enough to handle a search string with duplicated words.

This one matey?

2 Likes

Yep, thatā€™s it. Thank you.

1 Like

Type the search string inside quotes
ā€œBlair Witch Project Projectā€
Thatā€™ll bring up the exact phrase.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.