1907 telegram: "Send arsenic...exterminate aborigines"

Seems to me New Amsterdam was about a century later, a century of disease among the american aboriginals. Well before it was ever intentional, western diseases totally ravaged the native peoples.

By the time the frontier got to Australia folks were done with subtlety, apparently.

1 Like

One wouldn’t know it from watching the Jaka Sembung / Warrior movies! I know that they are fiction, but I watched the first three movies of this Indonesian series last week, about a Javanese folk hero who fought the Dutch. If these are any indication, there is at least a popular perception that the Dutch were cruel exploiters of the people there.

2 Likes

That would make sense, yes. This is the book about New Amsterdam that I gleaned that from

Incidentally, I found out that my Great x 7 grandfather’s brother was banished to Australia for robbing a woman in London as a teen. The trial transcript is available online – pretty sketchy trial. He was a second fleeter (in the second fleet of prisoners to be sent there). He married a first fleeter’s widow and then later his nephew came (also as a convict), married his step-daughter, and then served as a butler as part of his punishment. These fleets of prisoners were basically death ships. Horrible conditions - if the British were treating their own that poorly, treating the natives even worse shouldn’t shock me but it always does.

2 Likes

It may have been just New Amsterdam - I’m not a historian, I’m not sure. New Amsterdam was essentially a trading post. If you killed off the natives, you killed off the people who were bringing you the beaver pelts. Not exactly good for business. If it weren’t for the British it would likely have been a matter of time for the locals.

Let us not forget those ‘Good Ole American Boys’ who gave Smallpox infected blankets to the Indians. How easy you folks retell other countries history, but miss out on your own.

2 Likes

I learned that history back in elementary school and was taught it throughout my childhood and adult education. Just because nobody’s mentioning the terrible things done to Native Americans in a thread about Australian Aborigines, it doesn’t mean we’re ignorant of our own history.

20 Likes

And yet, the very same “terra nullius” bullshit is still working for the Israeli Right to justify whatever shit they dump on the Palestinians. With the added irony that “a land without a people for a people without a land” isn’t even zionist to begin with.

5 Likes

Who exactly gave these blankets to whom? The one mention in the historical record of someone suggesting this was an English officer (Amhurst - a college is named after him!) trying this stunt during the French and Indian War, prior to the founding of the US of A.

Other than that, it is an urban legend spread by the infamous Ward Churchill.

2 Likes

With “protectors” like that, who needs enemies?

6 Likes

Hmmm, maybe some punctuation would make it nicer.

“Send cask, arsenic exterminate. aborigine’s letter will follow.”

1 Like

It’s not known how Prinsep responded.

This Biography of Prinsep makes him seem a man content with evil that did not reach the level of genocide–laying the groundwork for the institutional repression of the aborigine, while resisting the clamor to shoot them.

1 Like

See, he’s protecting them from themselves! If they’re all dead, they can’t do stupid things like try to reconquer their lands and make us shoot them.

3 Likes

Finally, a clear thinker! The Dominions Office is hiring and needs flexible minds. God save the Queen King*!

*) nearly messed this up. To spare you the Google search: It was Edward VII in 1907

5 Likes

BTW, how do you pronounce “Taíno” ?

There’s a local BBQ place by that name; I say “Tie-ee-no” and my wife looks at me funny. If it’s not English, shouldn’t all the vowels be pronounced?

Aw, heck. I’m wrong:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=taino+pronunciation&pc=MOZI&form=MOZSBR

Which allows a lot of Australians to say “See? We said sorry, so shut up about it now. Racism is over.” :unamused:

1 Like

“Killing aboriginal people with arsenic” (Australia’s genocide) is not in quite the same category as “forcing aboriginal people to go to school” (Canada’s “cultural genocide”). It’s a false equivalency.

1 Like

Who said the telegram was evidence of genocide? For all we know, this was an intemperate suggestion by a private citizen to a government official.

Of course, simplifying it by calling it “forcing aboriginal people to go to school” is trivializing the fact that at least 4000 children died in those schools.

6 Likes

Yes, nearly all from tuberculosis. These were the days before antibiotics. Large numbers died outside of residential schools as well. In the 1950’s almost a 1/3 of Inuit had TB, but by then antibiotics had reduced the death rate dramatically.

Funny thing about detestable acts by the dominant and victorious forces… they’re not often written down - with all the Cherry Tree Stories and such to get told.

1 Like