1968 stop motion TV commercial for Gulf No-Nox gas

The last line:

“Imagine what No-Nox can do for a car that doesn’t knock.”

Umm… nothing?

1 Like

Five? FIVE? We in Englandland had three.

2 Likes

He’s still gone, right?

So we can point out that those guys later worked on ST:TAS?

I remember that! Or do I resemble that?

Nevermind.

True dat. I lived there when there were only 4: BBC1, BBC2, ITV, and Channel 4. Guess they ran out of catchy station names by the time they got that last one!

1 Like

As soon as I saw that GIF I thought, “Hey, that’s that old ‘Folks in the middle… go for regular,’ commercial, from when I was a kid!” I don’t know why it made such a lasting impression on me, but I did think that Granny Leadfoot was hilarious.

Then a few years later I got into animation and learned about pixilation and realized that commercial was an example of it…

OH! Was that the Power Rangers-like live action show with the hilarious dubbing? That was insanely funny.

2 Likes

Man, I remember this clearly! I seem to recall another in the series in which the guy gets the full-service GULF treatment. The clerk lifts up the car/driver guy’s toupee to look underneath . . . checking under the hood.

I was always jealous of my cousins, whose father got their gas at a GULF Station. The chain gave away goodies, like a series of Disney-produced magazines.

We did get the Gulf give-away papercraft LEM in July 1969 . . .

That’s the one. And the best part is it wasn’t just “Power Rangers-like”. Footage from the same Japanese show that was used for Dynaman was used to make the Power Rangers. Needless to say the late night USA Network version was a billion times better but only ran for nine episodes.

I’ve found all but the last episode on YouTube. The last episode was a “retrospective” with American actors talking about their work on Dynaman. It’s hard to say which was the funniest part: one guy promoting his book Beat My Ass Dynakids: A Lizard Remembers or the final opening of “the Dynaman vault”.

The USA Network was the best channel on cable before it became a dumping ground for Law & Order and NCIS reruns.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.