Amazing, spaced-out 1982 TV commercial for a headshop

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/03/amazing-spaced-out-1982-tv-co.html

5 Likes

“Like, my brother works at the local public-access cable station, he can totally make a commercial for us!”

5 Likes

I thought it was going to end like the VICTORY AUTO WRECKERS commercial where the door falls off the Spaceship and the last shot is of a Happy Spaceman receiving $60! for his wrecked Spaceship, but NO! because that was a different commercial.

5 Likes

Feels very Rhett and Link (who obviously are not the inventors of cheap commercials).

1 Like

I’d shop there.

1 Like

Beautiful.
I wouldn’t change a pixel or a microsecond of the audio.

3 Likes

Hey did Red Bull copy this?

If I might grouse a bit, slightly off topic:

When I see these kinds of commercials on the internets I get pissed off all over again. Back in the early 90’s I taped The Simpsons every week, and I deliberately taped the commercials too, I knew that seeing weird local promos (and even big nationally syndicated ads) would be a time-warp curiosity after a few years. So then a “friend” borrowed my Simpsons VHS tapes, and returned them to me a few months later, “Hey man, I did you a favor too, I dubbed them onto new tapes without the commercials!” He didn’t understand why I was pissed. If I had those tapes now I could be loading tons of forgotten commercials onto youtube.

5 Likes

I imagine Joel Hodgson would like this commercial.

7 Likes

One of my favorite amaros, Cynar, did it better.

3 Likes

I’m not surprised they’re not still in business, it’s real hard to compete when Terrapin Station is just a block down.

Edit: Then again, the aforementioned didn’t open until 88’ apparently. I wonder if there’s an interesting story to discover here.

Terrible. There has never been a time in my life in which this commercial would have left a favorable feeling towards this business with me.
It might have turned me off illegal substances altogether. That would have been terrible.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.