1978 NBC news segment on the horrors of The Sex Pistols coming to America

Bleep you man, if you don’t bleep-ing get it then you’re in the wrong bleep-ing place. Get the bleep out.

3 Likes

Ok, I think I understand.

I didn’t see this, but I dimly recollect seeing an evening news report on punks, probably from the late 1970s, too, but it made me think: “want.”

It cracks me up that the band sounds pretty good in the video. I just assumed from the legend that they’d be so dysfunctional and bad live that I wouldn’t even be able to recognize a song.

Like the sound quality here’s so bad that though her voice is as strong as John Lydon’s, I can’t make out much of what Poly is singing (but then maybe I’m hard of hearing from all the loud music…):

3 Likes

I am totes jealous.

1 Like

It was my prom weekend, too.

6 Likes

Last time I saw a Sex Pistol on telly was this:

4 Likes

FWIW, as a historian of subcultures and punk, when I originally saw this clip, I thought it was very tame compared to the later punk panic that happened in the US. British culture was already in full punk panic mode, but the American response in 1978 was generally dismissive (sarcastic). It becomes much of a bigger panic later in the 80s (anti-punk TV, ignoring punk on the radio, etc).

2 Likes

To be fair, the scoffing over the 500 seat venue seems justified. That completely sold out venue only brought in $1,750 in ticket sales. Even in 1978 dollars that doesn’t go very far. Compared to groups like the Beatles it’s almost a joke.

Of course worrying about the money would be the opposite of Punk Rock.

1 Like

Hey, flip you, melon farmer!

2 Likes

Yet, they are talking about a band that sold out a 500 seat venue in 1978’s Atlanta GA, which is not the regional powerhouse (in music, industry, and culture) that it is today. In fact, they are talking about them at all, in 1978, which they scoff and laugh at, which is today, a genre of music that is now regularly lauded and admired by much mainstream music culture. In fact, it’s 40 years later, and we’re still talking about their impact today. So maybe that’s meaningless. YMMV.

2 Likes

Ever wondered would have happened if the Sex Pistols had been Amish?

(There is also a side-by-side comparison with the original)

2 Likes

I’d tell you, but given your tender age I’d have to see a note from your parents first.

And you as well, Mr Falcon

2 Likes

Whenever I see that clip, I’m struck by the fact that Grundy is hitting on Siouxsie who was 19 at the time (he was 53). But it’s the language that the public was shocked over.

5 Likes

Have you seen the Brass Tacks episode from the UK on punk? It’s great, though the focus puller on the camera is clearly pissed at work; it’s a bit like watching TV on ketamine.

1 Like

I have not. Do you think I could find it on the youtubes?

1 Like

I remember the hype. My friend: “they spit on the audience and the audience spits on them!”

Pretty sure, yeah. It has a very young Pete Shelley on it, being all smartly dressed and clever, a splendid biker punk band called ‘the Worst’, and a segment about a punk girl whose mum helps her make all her clothes cos they both work in the local textile factory in Manchester, which is just lovely. And lots of 1970s British fuddy-duddies who hate them all, of course.

2 Likes

Here y’go. Enjoy! :wink:

4 Likes