1978 NBC news segment on the horrors of The Sex Pistols coming to America

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/28/1978-nbc-news-segment-on-the-h.html

2 Likes

I remembered when this aired. I was nine years old and it scared the piss outta me.

5 Likes

But how are you doing now?

6 Likes

I remember in High School one of my teachers telling us rap music was a fad, it had no value. There’s a lot of music I don’t like, and wish weren’t popular, but every bit of our culture is part of our culture, even the stuff we don’t personally like. It all has an influence, particularly if it gets enough attention to be featured on a tame TV news show.

3 Likes

Oh, the horror! They left half empty beer and booze bottles on the table of the hotel room!

I was too young to have seen this originally, but it’s pretty damned funny. America sure does love a manufactured moral panic.

10 Likes

I discovered Black Flag six years later. I’m good. Thanks for asking.

12 Likes

Is it just me, or is the CSS really messed up for this page?

“… and people in the audience paid $3.50 for the privilege of seeing it” - The most jarring thing to me in this video.

6 Likes

i mean, seriously, i remember being a kid when this was going on and not getting the hysteria, even though at the time i didn’t like the music, but the news piece could have given it some context by saying that The Who and Zeppelin were notorious for trashing hotel rooms far, far worse than the Pistols.

6 Likes

Notice that little swagger when she says, “punk rock group?” That’s like the cutest, most subtle air quotes ever!

3 Likes

tumblr_njk1xrYXGS1s0s7b6o1_400

10 Likes

I was 10 at the time and probably missed it as I didn’t watch the news then.

3 Likes

Umm. young Jane Pauley … is it hot in here? -pulls collar- sheeesh…

2 Likes

Given that you don’t go calling yourself ‘Johnny Rotten’ because it’s so anoydyne and unthreatening; I have to wonder if getting the level of primetime shock and horror out of some fairly weakeauce transgressions represents the labor of some PR flack who really deserves a bonus for a job well done.

1 Like

Yet strangely, often seems oblivious, in large part, to what ought to be seen as real moral panic situations. I’m sure it tells us something…

2 Likes

I wasn’t born until 1980, so I don’t get the context of the word “bleep”. Is that some old-timey swear word, like short for black sheep or something?

4 Likes

I have a hard time rectifying the crazy and antisocial 1970’s Johnny Rotten with the friendly but reserved 60-ish year old Johnny Lydon I see from time to time around the neighborhood here in Marina Del Rey.

6 Likes

How is the chap doing?

1 Like

I saw Fugazi in 1995, and it was still only $6.00!

7 Likes