2012: Tory Prime Minister David Cameron declares war on "Safety Culture"

At least they have national health care unlike here where you are poisoned for years and left to your own devices when the cancer gets you… I especially like “We need to take responsibility for our actions and rely on common sense rather than procedure.” This is an often heard refrain that is sung with “Safety” banners and “days counting without a lost time accident” putting the responsibility on the worker who has little control over expensive safety procedures.

10 Likes
4 Likes

Sounds like you could do with some pronoun assistance, from here in Northern England(The forgotten space).

Now roudn here, the Tories are more than a political party, or even a Government, they prefer to e called “The Regime”

2 Likes

Oh! Yeah, completely forgot about that. The only implausible part of that scene is her giggling, hard to imagine. Though when she does laugh it is a most terrifying sight…

8 Likes

Feed me live baby rats!
Awyeah – I got your live baby rat right here.

4 Likes

Meat-masks only last so long.

6 Likes

Naturally, totally different levels of risk tolerance exist if the hazard is scary terrorists, rather than negligence.

13 Likes

Negligence is using the wrong tiles because they didn’t know what they were doing. This appears to be knowingly using the wrong tiles because they were cheaper.

That isn’t negligence, it’s profit-driven murder.

19 Likes

We just need to make it clear to them that the choice is between safety regulations and, in their own words, taking responsibility for your actions. Your building has flammable insulation, burns down and people in it die? You go to jail for life for voluntary manslaughter. Or, we can be generous and have a legally defined set of standards which we agree are suitable and if you adhere to them your responsibility in that arena is discharged.

13 Likes

It’s both. You need good engineering, procedures and systems, but without some contribution by the users, you will probably fail to always keep them safe. Designing systems to be safe enough in the face of deliberate malice or extreme carelessness is very hard.

It’s best to think of these things as win-win. A system, engineered and operated to not fail, will not only be productive and efficient, it will also be safe. Safety is an outcome of great engineering, management and operation, not a cost to it.

10 Likes

“I’m so goddamn tired of all these people wanting to be safe, and healthy, what is this, communism?
You should be afraid of fires, the police, your landlord, the imminent possibility of dying trapped in your own home, and me. What do you think our economic system was made for?”

10 Likes

AUSTERITY

Let’s not forget about

NEROLIBERALISM

5 Likes

Morpeth by any chance? There’s a very nice pub down by the river with a sign like that. I forget the name.

Thank you. That’s quite enlightening, actually.

[quote=“Enkita, post:12, topic:102936”]
Now consider that Cameron, Johnson and Rees-Mogg went to Eton and you begin to understand the attitude instilled by a school which boasts that it turns out the country’s rulers.[/quote]
You mean William Rees-Mogg? Because I don’t think anyone has ever been daft enough to give Jacob any power, other than control of a buzzer on HIGNFY.

Hundred people burned alive but they are celebrating Queen’s birthday… Wadda country… :-/

1 Like

He is the living proof of that statement…

1 Like

No, no, too much arts funding!.

3 Likes

Not to mention 1666, a year that I believe most British should be familiar with.

2 Likes

As long as we can have Ustinov as our emeror, it would be all worth it. :+1:

3 Likes