2021 -- BBS gives back, let's choose 3 charities we can donate to

Inter Pares is not as well known as some, but does good work internationally, with emphasis on woman-led projects. (Sorry, wouldn’t OneBox properly. @codinghorror?)

5 Likes

Since the bbs is an international forum, why not choose to support a charity doing good internationally.

This one would be my recommendation:

24 Likes

My vote would be Chef Jose Andres’ World Central Kitchen. They do excellent work addressing hunger and food waste.

23 Likes
15 Likes
36 Likes

Freedom of the press is under attack here in the US and around the world. The RCFP “… provides pro bono legal representation, amicus curiae support, and other legal resources to protect First Amendment freedoms and the newsgathering rights of journalists.”

8 Likes

I am nominating donating to Black Lives Matter.

https://blacklivesmatter.com

Why? Many reasons. But standing out above them is how we discuss justice here on this forum every day, and so it is fitting.

We hash it out here, multiculturally, multinationally, and together. It is time to turn our words into actions, to support the movement leading real change in 2021.

Edit 06JAN: Now more than ever, we need to back BLM. The divisions of inequality are what is literally destroying this country and taking us to the brink of authoritarianism; the way the entire machine is driven by white supremacy, both overt and institutional, explicit and implicit bias. This machinery must be disassembled and replaced with something that works for all.

24 Likes

I hear that and agree wholeheartedly. Whatever topics come up frequently on BBS that we can support through donations, we should! Keep the ideas and :heart:s flowing!

4 Likes

Seconding MSF, and bringing up UNICEF:

9 Likes

First off, what a fantastic idea @codinghorror and the Discourse team!

I would like to nominate Heifer International. 75¢ of every dollar goes directly into program support and they have a proven track record of lifting families out of dire poverty. The definition of “think globally, act locally”!

They also published a beautiful children’s book that describes the direct impact of their work without ever getting preachy or dire.

15 Likes

I’m going to go with Greenpeace, since I’m a squishy sort of “they get results” guy who accepts that sometimes compromises must be made.

10 Likes

Thirding Medicins sans frontieres. Also working along similar lines, although not as widespread as MSF, is Mercy Ships. mercyships.org Unfortunately has a religious component to it but I don’t think it’s too intrusive. Also has a few POC and women on its Board.

6 Likes
8 Likes

Please keep the votes and nominations coming in! Less than 24 hours left to select our top 3. :bowing_man:

1 Like

Refugee and Immigration Center for Education and legal Services

“We are a nonprofit agency that promotes justice by providing free and low-cost legal services to underserved immigrant children, families, and refugees.”

6 Likes

Right now they’re getting a good amount of donations through Awesome Games Done Quick 2021 Online, but I’m still going to suggest Prevent Cancer Foundation because fuck cancer.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 2 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Topic is closed to new replies but PLEASE scroll to the top and vote if you have not already! I’ll give it one more day to make sure all votes are tallied, then launch the other topic with the top 3 to vote the funds to their destinations.

Voting costs you nothing (except a little time), but will result in charities getting funds to help those less fortunate than ourselves – at absolutely no cost to you!

3 Likes

OK! Selections made, voting is now complete, top 4 (since there was a tie) are:

EFF – 50 :heart:
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) – 36 :heart:
Black Lives Matter – 24 :heart:
WaterAid – 24 :heart:

Voting topic is here :ballot_box: