$3 router rebooter

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/08/3-router-rebooter.html

7 Likes

20 Likes

I like that this is an external device from the router, but also wonder if this dead man’s switch could be implemented in the router itself.

5 Likes

it’s his mouse he’s moving…

5 Likes

Will it also phone my ISP’s support line to tell them that?

3 Likes

Better disable any automatic updates on the router, and make sure you manually bypass this before you do any firmware updates, otherwise this will power cycle in the middle and possibly leave you with a nice brick.

21 Likes

More accurately (and safely), it splices inline in your router’s power line, which is probably 12VDC.

Before using something like this, one should check to see if one’s router has a built-in reboot timer. Mine reboots daily at 4AM.

3 Likes

Given how many routers run Linux, I wonder how hard it would be to add a simple bash script to do that without the extra hardware…

2 Likes

dd-wrt already has a built-in setting, Connection Watchdog, that does this.

7 Likes

7 Likes

timer

7 Likes

From creator Mike Diamond’s website What I Made Today:

Try this link tho: Make your router reboot automatically when internet connection is lost

Glad to see he’s switching DC, and not the mains line.

1 Like

This entire project got me thinking; why is this not built into routers?

That is a great point.

1 Like

I like those things, and use them often for various reasons, but they emit faint mechanical buzzy sounds, ticking away as they do, which makes me nervous around alternating current… :wink:

1 Like

Cosmic ray and EMP proof and we never have to update the firmware

3 Likes

yeah, I came here to ponder the same thing…I could see this on the modem, as that can get hung periodically.

There’s something weird about a wifi device rebooting a router.

(Half the problems with internet connectivity in my house are related to an overcrowded 5Ghz band.)

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about those giant birds. I’m surprised the Store hasn’t been promoting them.

1 Like

In having broadband since Oct 2012, a reboot has only been needed a few times, no more than five. One was after the power was off.

I can’t tell whether I’m lucky, or others unlucky, or what.

2 Likes

It seems like a very blunt instrument that is likely to mask the real problems. This will not be installed in my house.

7 Likes