WiFi ResetPlug power cycles router whenever Wifi fails

[Read the post]

Next on Kickstarter: hacked WiFi ResetPlugs which power cycle your router whenever they detect WiFi traffic.

10 Likes

Iā€™d like to see this incorporated into a useless box type device that pushes the reset button.

9 Likes

It seems expensive for what it is but I can see the point. I had a router that would get wonky about once a week. Eventually I put DD-WRT on it and a cron job to weekly reset it. Still with my non-tech family members something like this would be a nice plug and play preventative measureā€¦for maybe $20.

And yes my now $100 router does work better but not everyone needs all that

3 Likes

Sorry, but I think this is awesome (but horrendously overpriced). I know your access point shouldnā€™t be so crap to need this, but it could have other uses. For instance, I have a power cycle on Sunday mornings on all my network infrastructure at home, but I canā€™t cycle a couple unmanaged switches because I can run a cron job on most everything to do it, but not those switches. This would be great for that.

I can see making your own with an ESP8266 and a handful of relay parts for a whole lot less.

6 Likes

If youā€™re thinking itā€™s a great idea, maybeā€¦ you need a better router?

Right? When my wifi fails it either means the power went out or I forgot to update the Certificate Revocation List.

2 Likes

Some of us have terrible ISPs that lose line sync on a semi-regular basis. Sending a fresh sync request from the customerā€™s end is the fastest and least-irritating way to fix this.

16 Likes

I saw the title and thought ā€˜that sounds usefulā€™.

I really need to buy a new router.

11 Likes

Soā€¦ sometimes daily, sometimes once a month, my cable feed will be interrupted and when it comes back on, the cable box and wifi router are no longer are friends. So I have to unplug both, wait a minute, plug in my cable box and wait another minute until it has fully booted, then I can plug my router back in.

The decoder is ancient, the router is wireless G 24ghz (maybe 8 years old?)ā€¦ what are my options.

Bonus points if you can solve why I have to restart my roku every couple of days.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Cable companies buy hardware from the lowest bidder, which means that it doesnā€™t have robust firmware. Even if it says ā€œCiscoā€ on the front. I canā€™t tell if itā€™s memory leaks or cache congestion or what, but Iā€™ve never had a ISP-provided box that would stay functional for more than a few days.

My solution has been to install one of those mechanical 24 hour timers, and set it to turn off the hardware from 3-4AM every night.

14 Likes

That sounds like a much cheaper solution.

1 Like

And if your SO suffers from insomnia? (OK corner case. Fortunately our router has been very reliable so fā€¦lost carrier

1 Like

Something like:
http://amzn.com/B007UZH7B8

or this:
http://amzn.com/B00VQISOCG

along with OpenHAB or something similar to handle the scheduling or trigger on no WiFi. The whole setup is probably a bit more expensive, but itā€™s a lot more flexible and more scalable long termā€¦

3 Likes

We have pretty wonky wifi at the office, but frankly if i had this iā€™d be using this to annoy people by plugging the lights in to it or something.

7 Likes

Initially, it seems like a clever idea.

Then, the price: $60.00. Do these guys think they have built a ā€œNestā€ product or something?

Then, from the FAQ:

Q: What web sites or IP addresses does this ping to check for connectivity? Are they user settable?

Answer: The ResetPlug tests connectivity by checking 10 different Internet
hosts. Once per minute it hits our (MultiNet.io) servers which are
hosted in Amazon Web Services and very scalable. This is to not annoy
other hosts on the Internet. If for any reason this check fails, the
ResetPlug tries google, Bing, Hurricane Electric, Speakeasy, and several
other Internet hosts before it issues a reset to the power. This is not
user settable.

So, whenever multinet.io loses connectivity or MultiNet, Inc. itself goes out of business (and who ever heard of a tech company going out of business?), the plug is useless. Or worse than useless: it will be continuously and needlessly be rebooting your router. the millions of plug owners instantaneously launch a DDoS attack on google.com.

Edit: I initially misinterpreted the algorithm (dā€™oh).

2 Likes

I hope they use Googleā€™s core product for the test.

2 Likes

Not entirely.

If MultiNet dies, then the first check fails, then the second check is tried (google), if that fails, then bing, then Hurricaneā€¦ and when everything on this list fails, a reset is issued.

This does not make sense - the server-side check cannot test the connectivity of the resutplug thingy. I think shaddackā€™s explanation fits to the snippet you quoted above.

Why would it be doing so? The plug is testing its own connectivity to the outside, not the connectivity of the other servers.

The devices are pinging only multinet.io - as long as it is responding. Only if it is not responding, the other ones on the list are tried, one by one, until one of them responds - or until the list is exhausted and then power cycle is issued.

1 Like

I actually think this gadget is a nice idea. I donā€™t think itā€™s pointless. My router takes a dive once every few days, and some weeks itā€™s multiple times a day. I could call AT&T and have them fix the issue, it never happened until some service tech guy accidentally cut my internet line by accident when he meant to cut someone elseā€™s. But honestly iā€™d rather not deal with customer service and another service visit. Might consider buying this gadget, maybe.

2 Likes