$3 router rebooter

You mean Kyle wouldn’t have had to manually reboot the internet?

Same here, my Mikrotik has been rock solid for years, only needing reboots when I did something stupid to the configuration. It does require a fair amount of know-how to set up, but that’s both a blessing and a curse: it gives you plenty of power to either shoot yourself in the foot, or set up your network exactly the way you want it.

It does have a simplified web setup interface for home users, but I think that goes too far in the other direction and doesn’t provide enough flexibility for a moderately-advanced home user.

2 Likes

Hard to get it work in China, Crimea, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria, …

Clever, but if your connection breaks at 5am, that’s a long wait.

1 Like

That router (an Asus running non-Asus firmware) tended to be a problem maybe every 2-3 weeks before I set up the reboot, after that I had no trouble.

Rebooting clears the routing table, that simple. If you want to avoid this issue, look for routers with more RAM =).

Probably a cheaper option than what i did with our hilariously unstable* Virgin Media Superhub.

I just turned it into modem-only mode and moved everything else onto an old micro PC i had gathering dust running Pfsense and a cheap ex-corporate Mikrotik WiFi AP…

The superhub is now absolutely stable (unusual for them!) and the other two devices give much more features.

*stability not being the only issue, also had fun flaws like a hardcoded LAN IP range for seemingly no apparent reason…

2 Likes

I have a program on a Pi that checks the Internet connection (specifically if the dynamic DNS to my site is working), plus the rest of the LAN.

When I hear the sound effect for the net connection going down, then I can check to see what’s going on, and decide what to do, including reboot. It’s not much good if I’m not there, but it’s usually not the router crashing.

I use the EdgeRouter X from Ubiquity Inc. It pretty much only gets rebooted when I upgrade the firmware. I mostly don’t think about it.

1 Like

So are we pronouncing it “rooter rebooter” (rhymes with fruit) or “rowter rebowter” (rhymes with clout?)

2 Likes

If your connection goes down in a way that a router reboot consistently fixes it, it’s possible that the cause is a memory leak or similar bug which only causes problems when the system’s been running for a long time.

If it’s good enough for state-of-the-art jet airliners

1 Like

Not really. Building it into routers means it will probably be implemented in software to keep costs down. See:

The problem with that option is that it’s contingent on the router being functioning normally enough to begin with (i.e. hasn’t locked up).

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.