30 year-old Commodore Amiga still powering school district heating system

[Read the post]

7 Likes

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. :grinning:

12 Likes

I’m actually posting from one of these now. They’re really quite versatile machines, as this article shows, although of course there are some drawb
?OUT OF MEMORY ERR

11 Likes

19 Likes

We had an Amiga 2000/HD (…only without a hard drive, go figure) in my high school TV Production class in 1989, to do titles. The title software was prone to crashing if you moved the mouse while it was running. Good times.

3 Likes

Several of my friends called them “commie doors”. For a long time I was under the mistaken impression that they allowed Soviet access to US computers, as seen in Jumpin’ Jack Flash (the Whoopi Goldberg film, not the Rolling Stones song).

4 Likes

Ah, the days I spent playing King of Chicago and Archon on my Amiga 2000 (which I still have).

And now it can easily be replaced by a Raspberry Pi.

3 Likes

That’s absolutely wonderful. Eventually someone will have to move this to an Amiga emulator. I love how certain technologies can survive far past their sell by dates. In the late 1930s, for example, there was an office building in lower Manhattan that still had an elevator powered by donkeys who lived in a stable on the top floor. Presumably they have since been replaced by an electric donkey emulator.

10 Likes

In NYC the DC power reigned in isolated enclaves for decades.

3 Likes

Damn I LOVED Amigas. They were great computers.

6 Likes

Does it have Dune? BRB, Ima’ get some cola and cheetos.

1 Like

I read something similar a few years ago about elevators in San Francisco running on DC.

1 Like

Much unsurprising. These old systems are designed and built to last. Not like that modern and “better” crap…

On a side note, a lot of modern electronics can run on DC without problems. The switching power supplies convert AC to DC (that diode bridge and capacitor on the mains side) anyway - if your PSU has it, you can run it on DC. (Beware of circuitry that relies on transformers or chokes or inductive ballast. Those will burn fast and bright and smelly on DC. But they are easy to recognize.)

This will be handy for using electric cars as backup batteries. Also in case of having to improvise power supplies for a short time in post-catastrophic setting; ten car batteries in series will give you enough juice for a couple hours of running your computers and comm gear.

1 Like

At one point I owned three A500s

The one in the article that is controlling a school district’s heating system is also contributing a good deal of heat…

5 Likes

I knew someone that had several massive pieces of ancient analytical equipment with an Amiga collecting the analog signals.

2 Likes

WERE?

Obviously you don’t have an AmigaOne X1000 running AmigaOS 4.

Nor do I. I do have a A1200 with a broken mouse port in my parents’ loft, though.

4 Likes

the amiga is/was great !!! full colour ( almost ) when macs were still black and white only !! the motorola 68000 cpus were/are superb !! orthogonal registers and all and such !! amigos was/is really really nice !! i wrote and ran a mandelbrot generator in forth , with scaled-point square root and butterfly multiply routines n assembly , on the the amiga !! those were the days , yahah ~
( and the blitter !! such wonderfull system chips !! )
{ also , some of the early awacs used 68030 cpus http://www.bratnet.com/usjtids.html }
sigh !! i :heart_eyes: amiga 1000

4 Likes

Much as I adored my Amiga 3000, full colour they were not. 12 bit color in HAM mode was impressive, but had serious limitations (Even crazy hacks like Sliced HAM were relatively restricted, and not super useful). But yeah, the 68k family was great, I loved writing assembler on it, and the OS was amazing. I loved my computer. :slight_smile:

It’s high-time you moved out.

1 Like