30 years after cyberpunk, Japan is still the (greying, insular, shrinking, climate-wracked) future

Your post is the single dumbest thing I’ve read today, and we are all the dumber now for it.

Imperial America is built on blood, involuntary (slave) labour, and racism. As an empire, it recognizes the threat to its dominance. But make no mistake: there are no “good guys” in a battle of empires.

12 Likes

You made really good points above but really this summarizes things. The point of these classes is not to speak English, its to pass the test. Unfortunately the hard cold honne reality of JET is that it is a tatemae exercise.

There are in fact serious schools where your skills would be useful at the adult level but those are hyper specialized for preparing business people for overseas assignments.

Didn’t take it as such at all. I’ve never done eikaiwa in the last 21 years here, but have met and spoken to lots of people involved at various levels including Japanese people involved in managing the industry.

No change. It is still about passing the tests. I’ve been asked to help kids of neighbors and family and I beg off explaining that the texts required to pass the tests arent at all about reality and my “help” would be no help at all.

Lots of people end up doing things that arent about what their degree is and I couldn’t ever look down on someone who made a real genuine effort to genuinely learn about another culture beyond the bullshit sensationalist fake news like what inspired this thread.

EDIT: realized that this thread will close out while I’m offline for Sukkot so if you reply I won’t see it for a couple days and won’t be able to continue the conversation. Want to be clear I enjoyed the discussion with you and thanks for your views!

1 Like

brienne-ugh-shit

6 Likes

6 minute of read time, throws chaff in a couple of threads, probably won’t every read the responses.

2 Likes

Well, clearly, they came here to troll, not contribute meaningfully to the community. Do you think I’m not aware of that, and need it explained to me?

But maybe I post the gif for me and the community, not for the assholes who believe they have the right to drop a turd in various threads.

5 Likes

Do you think I’m not aware of that, and need it explained to me?

No. I don’t. I just thought it was worth saying, and I didn’t want to respond directly to said individual, who will never read the follow ups.

1 Like

When you feel the need to defend or repackage xenophobia as something most people want, you should realize that self reflection is something you really don’t have buddy.

I’d go grammar nazi on you too, but as I said above, Im outta that business now.

Some advice- look at and read what you wrote. Tell me you didnt drink any kool aid laced with obliviousness. Repeat in the mirror until you hear the cries of the children you voted into walmarts turned child prisons in Texas.

There are valid aguements to be made about the immigration system. Telling me I should want your brand of hateful stupid because I don’t know better, when you can read the life of an immigrant I led directly before your post shows you don’t know what its like to be an immigrant from your toliet seat.

Do America a favor- go abroad, live a while, try not to be stupid, and see what its like to live like the people your side hate. Come back and spread some understanding, or don’t breed. Your choice.

3 Likes

10-4 on that good buddy.

If you do see this later I’m sure that even with my background there are nuances and perhaps major facets of the experience that were missed. The whole situation is pretty complex. 21 years beats my 3, although I had about 9 years of study in before I left in the end.

I hope someday its a different situation, for the sake of the Japanese youth. Some really good and bright kids there.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.