3D printable objects modeled on expired 19th century patents

[Permalink]

I’d like to see him 3D-print any of those half-million obvious, done-before software patents that are the result of the patent system run amok.

1 Like

I just saw a website for a company that makes 3D models of people and pets. In color. They use the real person as a model. Now which 19th and 20th century people do we have enough photos of to recreate them in 3D. Lady Di? Marilyn Monroe? Arnold?
Who would pay for a life size reproduction of famous people? Sexy people? Jenna Jameson? So will people be able to own the copy right to their own physical dimensions? You can’t patent yourself, but can you make people pay for creating a model on computer? How does this differ from a sculptor?

1 Like

That’s a cool idea, but he needs to cut it out with the “cutting edge from the original database of things—the U.S. PTO.”

Just tell us what is is and leave the buzzwords at the top of the blog.

The big problem with this is that not all of the things in there are suitable for manufacture with current 3D extruded thermoplastic. That pot scraper for instance probably wouldn’t work, and you would be hard pressed to find a use for that screw.

It’s a flower stand! The cool Italian Renaissance looking invention is a flower stand! I know it was bugging everyone else too!

5 Likes

to be fair, the patent system was designed to force people to open source their inventions. that’s the trade: they get a limited monopoly, we get the secret to how they did it.

2 Likes

Relax, he’s just being funny. E.g. If a patent has expired it’s hardly cutting edge anymore.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.