43 percent of America's children are in families barely able to afford most basic needs

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/02/09/43-percent-of-americas-child.html

4 Likes

hey, they finally dragged Minnesota down with them

tiny Canada, I had such hopes for you

7 Likes

America…

:cry:

6 Likes

How do all those numbers in the 20s average out to 43%?

I think “in poverty” is a subset of, not an equivalent to, “low income.”

ETA:
From the linked report:

NCCP defines a poor household as one where incomes are below the federal poverty threshold (i.e., $24,036 for a family of four with two children in 2015). Families with earnings less than twice the poverty threshold are considered low income and include poor families (i.e., $48,072 for a family of four with two children in 2015).

4 Likes

God bless America, land that I love
Stand beside her and guide her
Through the night with the light from above
From the mountains to the prairies
To the oceans white with foam
God bless America, my home sweet home
From the mountains to the prairies
To the oceans white with foam

Irving Berlin

4 Likes

“I only like people who are winners. OK?”

7 Likes

2000 vs 2015 might be a bit of a cherry pick. 2000 was the last year of the .com boom. The unemployment rate was bouncing off 4%. Yea, 2000 was the minimum overall poverty rate from 1990-present. There were two very similar maximums. 1993, and 2010-2014.

Not that it actually changes the point…

These days the most economically stressed group is families with young children. This improves pretty significantly once the kids reach public school age.

Used to be the elderly were overwhelmingly in desperate poverty, but social security/medicare/medicaid(which pays for most nursing home care) ended that quite effectively.

For families the big one is the public schools, but that usually kicks in at 5-6 years old.

Clearly we should be doing more for young families.

IMO:
free public preschool & at least much more daycare assistance
medicare pregnancy-18
government funded baby time off 12 months for primary caregiver, 2 months for secondary.

4 Likes

Don’t worry; I’m sure the free market will fix this.

5 Likes

Al Jolson was the first thing that came to mind when reading this story. Think this is startling to hear? Folks, you ain’t heard nothing yet!

2 Likes

Cause, or effect?

1 Like

Hey, those who elected this administration only care about them until they are born, okay? After that, they are on their own.

Unless they do something bad. Then they will kill them.

4 Likes

The maps seem to suggest that a lot of the low-income folks in question may have voted for Trump.

My experience with the working poor in my family is that they were 100% pro-Trump, union members and all. I think it would be difficult for them to feel more alienated from the Democratic party, when they should be its backbone. Their perception is that Democrats are university-educated big-city elitists who find the working class distasteful and are eager for it to wither and die.

4 Likes

“If the poor were good people, they’d have the decency to starve to death if they can’t afford food.”

• future Trumpism?
1 Like

No-no-no, they’re just thought of as “the deplorables”.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.