50 Great Cult Films

Some of these are eyebrow raising for sure.

Mark Kermode covered this subject in last night’s Secrets of Cinema series but you’d be very hard pushed to find a lot that’s mainstream cult in there. Shout out to @Mindysan33 - he includes John Waters!

5 Likes

Jarmusch’s Stranger than Paradise is one of my favorite movies.

The list is missing everything else by Jim Jarmusch, John Waters, Eating Raoul, Terrorvision, and Heart of Midnight.

5 Likes

How do you not have Raising Arizona on that list? Or Beetlejuice? Or Dumb and Dumber? I’ve seen those so many times I can recite every line.

Maybe they were too mainstream, but still…

3 Likes

Also MIA: Napoleon Dynamite, Inframan, Harder They Come, Zoolander, The Hunger, Lost in Translation

3 Likes

Ex Drummer should be high up on this list.
Like others have mentioned, the majority of the movies listed are not what I would consider cult movies at all

We obviously need a list that ranks movie lists.

15 Likes

Also, not a single Troma film is on there… No Hammer. No Italian Mondo films… :thinking:

11 Likes

That website has one of the most awkward tracking opt-out pages I’ve ever seen. Not reading the article and never visiting it again. Fuck 'em.

2 Likes

Of the 50, 47 are English-language films, and almost exclusively populated by predominantly white casts.

I’m not saying these movies are bad or in any way unworthy of inclusion, but someone should consider broadening their horizons.

6 Likes

Compare it to the Top Ten Critics list for good measure.

4 Likes

The French turn out some great cult films. I recommend Delicatessen, La Jette, and Monsieur Hulot’s Holiday, among others.

15 Likes

That movie is hilarious!
French cinema is massively under represented on that list for sure

8 Likes

Yeah, where’s Battlefield Earth ?!?

2 Likes

Can you recommend a list that ranks lists of movie critics?

3 Likes

They all have this man at #1.

norman-barry-002-film-80

4 Likes

In the trash, where it belongs?

5 Likes

Watch the first 2+ minutes of Darktown Strutters on Amazon and tell me you didn’t watch more.

Yes, the lists completely leaves out the vast and bewildering library of Japanese cult (except for Akira). It is a good attempt but omits such masterpieces as “Batoru rowaiaru”

6 Likes

Death Race 2000 - Eating Raoul - Phantom of the Paradise

4 Likes

Or where is Tetsuo the Iron Man?

No Godzilla…

OH! Just in general… No Ed Wood films on this list… no Elvira Mistress of the Dark… nothing about films related to Killer Tomatoes…

10 Likes