561 deaths tied to recalled Philips sleep apnea machines

That part may take months to become accustomed to. You can have your doctor dial it back and/or set a ramp-up setting so it starts out lower and increases over time. (This might depend on the model. The internets have instructions on how to enter the clinical menu settings – but let your doctor know you’ve changed the settings, too.)

5 Likes

I have TMJ and I found a doctor who diagnosed it. He said it was due to apnea. I told him I wouldn’t use a CPAP machine. He said that’s OK., we have an alternative. It’s a night guard with a band that moves your jaw out a bit so the airway is a bit larger. It’s made by Somnomed. I also have a removable appliance that is fixing my TMJ. The process has taken about a year, and it’s still not finished. I have definitely seen an improvement with my jaw issues. I’ll be honest, I don’t think I’ve had a good night’s sleep since 2016. I don’t really expect to anymore. I hope this comment isn’t TMI, but there was an alternative to a CPAP machine for me. I have no idea if it will work for all conditions.

9 Likes

Totally depends on the anatomy. I tried a lot of alternatives. Breathe-Rite strips helped a little. Got the “jaw-jut” device from my dentist, which did not help at all. Finally gave in and got a CPAP (Resmed, thanks be) and it has been an absolute life changer. No more blazing headaches, no more daytime exhaustion, no more wife threatening to get her own room. It took some adjusting, but i wouldn’t be without it. The fact that Phillips cheaped out on the manufacturing to increase profit margin at the cost of human life does not change that, it just makes them capitalist assholes. (Redundant, i know.)

11 Likes

Likewise, I have a mouthpiece that works wonders for me.

2 Likes

Yeah, no. I grind my teeth, and had a bad experience with a pricy dental appliance which I don’t think helped, but aggravated the snoring. After that experience with the mouthguard I am leery of adding more appliances.

1 Like

Maybe not a monopoly but certainly the biggest player by far. Which is a real bummer because I have used ResMed machines for years and they kinda suck. Their travel-size machine in particular is fucking awful and I hate it every time I have to use it.

3 Likes

If you’re in the US and can’t tolerate CPAP there are approved surgical implants you can get as alternatives like Inspire Sleep. It essentially acts as a kind of pacemaker that stimulates your throat muscles to stay open when it detects them collapsing while you’re asleep. It’s not cheap, though. I believe it costs around $20k if you can’t get insurance to foot part of the bill.

2 Likes

Thanks. I did try…my doctor and the tech who did all set up turned it down a lot but I still felt like I was drowning.

1 Like

For the record, this particular mangle (and others like it) are caused by Wordpress’s editor, which is absolute dogshit and in certain cases literally displays the incorrect text (typically after editing in-place by copying and pasting parts of sentences around). You can only edit effectively by publishing and seeing what the fuck went live, which is a very unpleasant workflow.

8 Likes

That seems less than optimal! :thinking:

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.