59% Off First Generation Lytro 16GB Camera

As I understand it, you can hack into the file structure of the camera and open each individual photo; they appear as folders of multiple images. It may be theoretically possible to take a single photo and then find two images in its folder to create a stereo pair.

1 Like

I could also use the software that it came with, which appears to have some tools for this.

The biggest issue with photography of my subject matter is the focus issues, which is why I seized on this. It appears that the Lytro does macro pretty well, and being able to take images of 1.5 cm high faces and keep them completely in focus without too much effort is very nice.

Animation aside, it also takes pretty photos of fossils: https://pictures.lytro.com/cgfx/pictures/972935

The 1080x1080 res. isn’t that big of a deal if you’re willing to do compositing (provided HD is really necessary).

[quote=“coherent_light, post:20, topic:63882”]
stereographic imagery
[/quote]But at this price you might as well buy two of them and save yourself a lot of hacking while getting a lot more depth.

2 Likes

How much more depth would I need for a composite image in which the subject matter is that small (the puppets are 10 cm high)? Would I need to make a custom mount? (Can you even get the cameras close enough together for that to work? I admit I don’t know what’s involved there.)

Do you really need to hack anything? The software appears to support 3D exports:

I thought I’d seen something you’d said about diving into folders, but no matter. The ideal distance is the same as typical eye centering, about 3". But, as the camera is 3.4" you’ll do fine to just tape them next to each other.

The 3D they do in their software is, well, it’s okay. But it’s not nearly up to par with stereo images we had a hundred years ago because it’s the same lens.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.