653,249 people were arrested in the US last year for breaking marijuana laws

We need to talk. Soon. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Roger That! Romulan Grapefruit!

3 Likes

Man i am so down with that Romulan Grapefruit, really grabs you by the booboo. Call. me.

…not to mention a lovely pretext for searches and other things that are enabled by those arrests.

2 Likes

Half a million people. Per year.

Disproportionately young, poor, PoC.

Arrested, imprisoned, enslaved.

5 Likes

Under current law, all physically able inmates who are not a security risk or have a health exception are required to work, either for UNICOR or at some other prison job. Inmates earn from US$0.23 per hour up to a maximum of US$1.15 per hour, and all inmates with court-ordered financial obligations must use at least 50% of this UNICOR income to satisfy those debts

4 Likes

Interesting. Where do they get a definitive list of Session’s assets? Has he published his (gasp) tax returns?

1 Like

lots here may not agree with locking up smokers but look at the huge benefits it has brought to americans…lol

Had to Leafly that - awesome reviews!

If I can ever find it in my part of the world it sounds like a nice change from my usual faves of Amnesia Haze and Jack Herer.

1 Like

The sarcasm was to put this in the context of “great news” for those parties. And Mark’s inclusion of drug cartels still doesn’t make sense, because he wasn’t specifically talking about marijuana prohibition. The subject “this” was referring to people being arrested for possession.

I don’t have a problem with the politics of his statement–I’m a medical marijuana user–I was being nit-picky about the parallelism of his statement. Cartels benefit from marijuana being illegal, but not from their customers being arrested.

They do benefit from their customers being arrested. Where there’s risk, there’s price inflation. If marijuana were illegal, but the punishment / consequences for possession / use was a $2.00 fine, it would be hard to justify the high cost of marijuana. But, as the consequences become more severe, the price increases.

There’s money to be made in pot, more to made in heroin, much more to be made in cocaine and meth. Correlation isn’t causation, but there’s a very strong relationship between the penalty for possession and use, and the cost of the product, especially as you see the cost of some products rise and fall with the penalties associated with the product.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.