7 dead in UK airshow crash

Mmm - we’re talking about airplanes. Generally when these things happens they figure out the cause. If it is a mechanical issue, one previously unknown, they alert everyone to check their planes for the issue. If it a known issue, they alert everyone to double check their planes. If it was pilot error they work these lessons into training, and I am sure most pilots are aware of a big event like this, will be reminded not to do what he did.

Of course, very intelligent, very competent, one my argue one of the best, pilots can still make fatal mistakes. e.g. The recent Space Ship Two.

But was there something specifically you wanted them to do differently? Even with all the proper precautions, no fancy loops, just good ol’ commuter flying we lose planes every once in awhile due to weather, mechanical failure, and/or pilot error. Hopefully we learn from mistakes and reduce them, but we will never reach a zero element of danger.

2 Likes

This is a very serious, tragic incident, and I would not want to make light of it.

That said… the reactions of the British in these videos are just priceless!!!

The long distance one of the loop is probably the best, “Oh dear. Oh dear.”

Yes, oh dear. Indeed. Nasty business that.

I enjoyed air shows when I was 9, but more recently they strike me as horrifically noisy and wasteful gestures of intimidation.

I wonder how it feels for people who have lived through actual aerial bombings…

1 Like

I for one still enjoy them. Many more do, judging from the shows’ attendance figures.

Clearly many do.

I just looked up the airport on google maps. It looks like his flight path took him over the least populated areas. There really wasn’t much around the crash area besides the highway, and had he been forward or back even 50 yards he probably would have missed it. Just a stack of unlikely events leads to really bad things. But you can’t find a large airport with out a major highway leading to it.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.