70 passengers refuse to board a plane with Wuhan residents, causing a 5-hour standoff

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/28/70-passengers-refuse-to-board.html

4 Likes

Everybody was Kung Flu Fighting.

27 Likes

If you’re worried that someone has an infectious disease they might spread to you, wrasslin’ them to the ground is probably not the best course of action.

11 Likes

I can see you are a civilized human, but I’m barely potty trained. So there’s that.

7 Likes

You have to fight the virus!

7 Likes

17 Likes
That's terrible

Flu disapprove?

6 Likes

It will be interesting to see how China deals with the outbreak in the coming weeks. Information control is kind of their thing, and i’m sure the regime at large sees something to be gained or loss from widespread panic about coronavirus.

1 Like

Bring you some sliced limes for that there Corona fever.

1 Like
2 Likes

If you crossed this with a Star Wars movie, the pilot would have been WuHan Solo. :grin:

1 Like

From this article: (I know, it’s behind a paywall)

For perspective : The flu kills roughly 35,000 Americans every year. This season, it has already sickened an estimated 15 million Americans and killed 8,200, according to C.D.C. estimates.

• Influenza kills more Americans every year than any other virus, Dr. Peter Hotez, a professor at Baylor College of Medicine, told Liz Sabo at Kaiser Health News. But the flu is rarely paid such attention, and fewer than half of adults get a vaccine.

• “When we think about the relative danger of this new coronavirus and influenza, there’s just no comparison,” Dr. William Schaffner, a professor at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, told Ms. Sabo. “Coronavirus will be a blip on the horizon in comparison.”

“If Americans aren’t afraid of the flu, perhaps that’s because they are inured to yearly warnings,” Ms. Sabo writes. “For them, the flu is old news. Yet viruses named after foreign places — such as Ebola, Zika and Wuhan — inspire terror.””

9 Likes

fighting Winnie the flu.

7 Likes

killed 8,200

Only 8200 cause slow speed spreading and people vaccinated creating few barrier for sensitive population.

Now, this Winnie the flu is adding extra deaths to the existing flu.
Also, the there is no vaccine makes it a bit different too.
It’s spreading also in a different way.
Should we not be worried when something without a cure is spreading in a 1.5 Billion country where you have no idea about what is actually going on with censorship?

2 Likes

This presupposes competence.

Hotels across China are refusing rooms to anyone from Hubei Province. Police are detaining people for going outside without wearing a Placebo Face-mask. Cars with Wuhan license plates are being wheel-locked. This level of fluster-cluck is not really helping the regime.

7 Likes

Sensible quarantining is the only prevention at this point, but we’ve seen from past experience that humans are usually incapable of carrying out sensible quarantining. Stopping healthy people who’ve been away from their homes in Wuhan from returning to China doesn’t make much sense. But we know that people are not sensible.

It will be interesting watching this unfold.

2 Likes

8 Likes

This needs to be the official internet name for the virus.

4 Likes

It may have already made an estimated 15 million Americans ill and killed 8,200, but the copywriting sickened me, for sure.

(PS Yes - I know it was them, not you, @udqbpn)

This is the timeline that has Biff Tannen as President of the US. I hope Marty and Doc Brown are able to fix things.

3 Likes