8-bit style text game simulates trying to get a PhD

Originally published at: 8-bit style text game simulates trying to get a PhD | Boing Boing

3 Likes

You mean I didn’t have fun in grad schoool? Working long hours, researching, writing, and teaching for very little pay and even less respect!!!

miss jay gif GIF

Jonathan Williams GIF by Red Table Talk

8 Likes

A grad student in my lab sent me this a couple days ago. Does the game include not having time to check out a game that reminds you how maddening getting a PhD is? How about the part where it only gets more frustrating after graduation if you stay in academia?

6 Likes

Pedro Laughing GIF by Brand MKRS creative agency

4 Likes

3 Likes

I don’t exactly regret mine (and I have a permanent post as an academic, so am a winner of the futures lottery) but I did instinctively click to “reject the offer” of a PhD place on the first screen. Which is probably telling.

5 Likes

From one (ok my) point of view the key to surviving a phd program(me) was wearing down the committee. Eventually they get tired of telling you what else they think you need to do to qualify (“publish one more paper”); but if you wear out first then apparently you aren’t ready for the petty politics of postdoc’ery [insane smile emoji]. (6.3 years… -sigh-)

2 Likes

Academia is a pie eating contest where the reward for success is more pie.

Also, that game is seriously triggering.

2 Likes

Feel The Bern Strike GIF by Bernie Sanders

3 Likes

I finished my PhD on the second try (in the game). I think it’s probably a pretty realistic simulation though (I got my real PhD on the first try, but it did take 6 years and there were definitely periods of significant discouragement and reflection on my life choices).

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.