8 weird punctuation marks that faded from the English language

i think it’s just a bug in the wikipedia template used to generate that table. the table lists:

| title="U+224F: DIFFERENCE BETWEEN" | [[Approximation#Unicode| ≏]]

which was a change introduced in 2013. there were a flurry of back and forth changes after someone the month earlier (accidentally?) surrounded all the symbols with [] link characters.

the unicode standard only refers to it as “difference between”, and not approximation.

2 Likes

Indeed. My maths education finished before Unicode existed, but that ≏ character was certainly the one the fearsome Fr. Leo taught me (the angriest teacher I have ever encountered).

Thank you.

All this explains why I never became a mathematician. I use maths nearly every day, but only basic geometry.

It’s also astrologese for Libra.

1 Like

it’s always possible it did mean that, and eventually lost the battle in the great war of mathematical symbol standardization 19** [redacted]

apparently it is ( was? ) used in geometry for something called “equipollence” ( two line segments that have the same length and direction )

so it seems a pretty obvious leap from there to mr leo’s use of it as “approximate”, even if it maybe it didn’t get widely used that way.

but i am not a mathematician either. they’re dangerous. please don’t tell them where i live.

1 Like

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.