Chomsky: a blackletter typeface inspired by The New York Times' nameplate

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/19/chomsky-a-blackletter-typefac.html

4 Likes

Well then, it’s about Times.

8 Likes

When I think Noam, I think establishment neoliberals. /s

7 Likes

The “masthead” of a publication is the box that lists its staff, editor, etc., NOT the title on the front page, which is properly referred to as the “banner” (or sometimes “flag”).

This is a common mistake that I will fight to my last day.

15 Likes

What’s your position on the diaeresis?

4 Likes

I kind of like the diaeresis. You don’t see it much anymore.

One variation I particularly like is the Catalan “punt volat” (middot), used in similar fashion to split up the double L, as in Avenida Paral·lel in Barcelona

4 Likes

It’s part of the New Yorker’s house style.

1 Like

Also wonderful, although it never caught on: The interrobang.

8 Likes

I would say that’s accurate. Florid blackletter caps are tiny works of art.

3 Likes

Yay Fontographer shout out! Loved tweaking fonts to add inline icons and buttons art-directing a raver mag in the 90’s. Quark FTW!

2 Likes

The ‘Whiskey Tango Foxtrot’ of punctuation.

4 Likes

Viva la ‽…

2 Likes

I’m

for
it.

3 Likes

In Britain, where I started my career in journalism, masthead refers to the title on the front page. In the UK, the box listing staff and such is known as the imprint (or the colophon, for bound volumes). The formal American term for the title on the front page is “nameplate” but as you say banner and flag are trade vernacular.

I used both masthead and nameplate interchangeably in my post to ensure everyone was in some way annoyed by it.

7 Likes

The juxtaposition of those two things reveals either biting satire or extreme delusion, and I’m not sure which it is.

2 Likes

Given that this typeface was cut by the founder of 8chan, I’m quite certain its filed under “satire, biting.”

2 Likes

I think that’s the joke/burn in the name…? I know Chomsky was ‘officially’ banned from the NYT by Abe Rosenthal, for 25 years. It’s got to be sarcastic.

1 Like

I’m the author of this font—thank you all for your comments.

The original name of this font was going to be «Consent Manufacturer». I decided that was too heavy handed, and thus chose «Chomsky». Make of that what you will. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.