A 1788 dictionary of vulgar slang

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/03/08/a-1788-dictionary-of-vulgar-sl.html

“box the Jesuit?”
You mean “beat the Bishop?” or “punch the Pope?”
I think that basically survived, what with the Chuch view on onanism and the phalic nature of liturgical head-gear.

“A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are toss’d with.”

C**T? Really? There are some words that even this dictionary won’t touch.

We used to have book in the house that when I was a kid. My favorite expression was shitting through your teeth which meant to vomit.

All’s Well That Ends Well

“A most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.”

Coriolanus

“Your abilities are too infant-like for doing much alone.”

45 is reincarnated from the Bard’s time!

Does it have “■■■■■?”

My final project for my Master’s degree was to create a library exhibit on the history of English language lexicography and this was one of the items I used to detail the early history. It’s a fascinating read and it was a lovely little reminder to that time.

I wish to learn more about the art of wheedling.

My first wonder is if the word is related to the modern word “wheeling”, as in wheeling and dealing.

I see using sex to sell alcoholic beverages is a time honored practice. Lets get a bottle of the ol’ strip me naked for the girlfriend the exact same way kids of Burbon street buy panty melters for their girls.

The idea that the Catholic clergy were sex-crazed hypocrites (monks/priests/bishops/cardinals shagging nuns, etc.) was a staple of Protestant anti-Catholic propaganda. Grose’s dictionary defines abbess (the head of a convent) as slang for ‘A bawd, the mistress of a brothel’.

Stop vilifying “moïst!”

:wink:

This is nearly useless to me. Where is the dictionary of vulgar 2018 slang? I guess BoingBoing will get around to posting that in 230 years. #disappointedinboingboing

See “trumpery”, defined as “an old whore”. Foresight or prophecy?

You did just invent a definition, didn’t you?

I find it amusing that “box the Jesuit” immediately follows

box the compass-- To say or repeat the mariner’s compass, not only backwards or forwards, but also to be able to answer any and all questions respecting its divisions. sea term

I love titles of this era, to whit: the expansions of the most brief title made in a most agreeable fashion; to which are appended one or more marginally or completely unrelated works, as a bonus and incentive to the dear reader.

A modern version?

The answer is within the question, bottle-head :wink: