A 2nd person dies after drinking Panera's "Charged Lemonade"

… is that like how gun control is impossible because assault weapons don’t exist :thinking:

I don’t really get how that analogy relates, but probably the answer is ‘no’.

Go into a UK pub and say you don’t want an alcoholic drink and ask what soft drinks they have to offer and (a shrub aside - that’s a very niche, largely home-made drink) those are the sorts of things you will probably get offered.

Probably, your original point was a bit too abstruse for me.

2 Likes

… mass marketed sugary sodas with no nutritional value are not necessary or helpful to a functioning society of healthy human beings?

I agree, they are not. But they are a mere subset of soft drinks.

That’s rather like banning all weapons including knives because you want gun control.

2 Likes

Sure Do Coca Cola GIF by PIZZA PALS PLAYZONE

2 Likes

I’m glad you don’t find this so baffling.
Come the day, you’re going to make an amazing attorney.

2 Likes

There is - kind of - another thing it seems like everyone misses on these stories. This stuff is in a fountain machine. You know - the kind you put a box of syrup in the back hooked up to a hose and water/carbonation/etc.

Am I alone in this - but I mean I’d say 9 out of 10 times when I try to use one of these in a store the mix is screwed up - because … I honestly don’t know but there is a high probability I get mostly soda water or often the opposite - a very very overmixed drink that is too sweet.

No - with soda… this is not really a problem - but with this stuff… Everyone assumes the two people had way too much of this stuff when it could have also been a bad mix at the machine - given the amount of caffeine that in this stuff wouldn’t a richer drink be shockingly bad - especially to those with pre-existing conditions?

4 Likes
4 Likes

I’ve never been to Panera, so I assumed it was maybe something based on actual lemons, but now it sounds like some Mountain Dew knock-off.

Putting at the multi-fountain with free refills is nuts.

4 Likes

Putting things into perspective:

At 13 mg per ounce, Panera’s lemonades are on the high end of caffeine compared with coffee. According to the FDA, an 8-ounce cup of coffee generally contains between 80 to 100 mg of caffeine, which is 10 to 12.5 mg per ounce. That means drinking about four to five 8-ounce cups of coffee a day is generally safe.
Some energy drinks can contain less caffeine than coffee by volume. An 8.4-ounce can of Red Bull Energy Drink contains 80 mg of caffeine, or 9.5 mg per ounce. A 16.9-ounce can of The Original Green Monster Energy drink contains 160 mg of caffeine, or about 9.47 mg per ounce. But others are much higher, such as Hyde Xtreme RTD, which contains 400 mg of caffeine in a 12-ounce bottle, which is 33.3 mg per ounce.

33mg/oz is utterly insane, not to mention irresponsible and dangerous. Caffeine is a bit like alcohol, in that at certain levels it can be helpful and fun, but more is certainly not better, and both can make you quite dead if not treated with respect.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.