Man dies from overdose of black licorice

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/24/man-dies-from-overdose-of-black-licorice.html

Reboing…

2 Likes

Black licorice is also dangerous during pregnancy (watch those herbal teas and natural cough drops!). It can cause long-term cognitive and behavioral problems to those exposed prenatally. And people with high blood pressure should not eat it regularly. It really should have warning labels because this is not widely known.

Sassafras can also be dangerous, but the versions used in commercial foods and beverages have the poisonous compounds removed. The FDA banned sassafras tea sales in the 70s. It’s past time for the FDA to take a look at some types of cinnamon and licorice again.

4 Likes

A “bag and a half every few weeks” is nothing. The decedent consumed a bag and a half every DAY for a few weeks.

2 Likes

side eye to package of Haribo Zanzigliss sitting on her desk

1 Like

It is legal but tonka beans and sassafras are illegal to sell as food when we know the science behind the ban is not correct. There ain’t no justice.

No wonder I came out so verkakte. I’ll be saving this up for the next time I need something to fling in my mother’s face

1 Like

Does it not where you are? It certainly does here.

1 Like

You can show her this: " Girls and boys exposed to high maternal glycyrrhizin consumption scored 7 (95% CI: 3.1, 11.2) points lower on tests of intelligence quotient, had poorer memory ( P < 0.04), and had 3.3-fold (95% CI: 1.4, 7.7) higher odds of attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder problems compared with children whose mothers consumed little to no glycyrrhizin (≤249 mg/week)."

Nope! You can buy it in bulk by the pound, or in big packages of candy, or in tea or dietary supplements, and there is no mention of pregnancy or potential toxicity anywhere. I used to eat half a box in one afternoon, before someone clued me in.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.