Trader Joe's cursed licorice "Gourmet Jelly Beans"

Originally published at: Trader Joe's cursed licorice "Gourmet Jelly Beans" | Boing Boing

4 Likes

If you don’t like licorice you haven’t tried this:

I have no idea what Trader Joe’s anything tastes like but Panda is the bomb

12 Likes

People should beware eating too much of that stuff if they have any heart or blood pressure issues.

5 Likes

You probably wouldn’t care for these then

7 Likes

In our version in Ireland we have Cola, Coffee and Cinnamon all looking the same. You need to pinch the bean between your fingers and do a sniff test, then bin the offensive flavoured ones.

12 Likes

Who doesn’t like the excitement of having hidden ‘landines’ in their food? Haha

This reminds me of my college years. Me and my roommates would order a batch of buffalo wings once in a while. When we ordered them, we would order a bunch at medium level heat and only 2 or 3 at the hottest level. We would ask that they just mix them in with the milder wings. It made dinner a bit more exciting. Haha

7 Likes

(alas yet another incidence of Circular Comments Button of Doom (CCBOD). oh for an easier ‘default’ option …oh wise and wonderful BoingBoing webmaster?)

4 Likes

Avoid Scandinavian licorice at all costs.

My family had a saying: “the more you chew, the worse it tastes”

That being said, anise hard candies are delicious :drooling_face:

4 Likes

I quite like Scandi liquorice, a little goes a long way.

4 Likes

FTFY

9 Likes

Oof, no kidding. I worked with a Swedish team for a while, and they all ate that stuff by the giant bagful. They said “all candy in Sweden is this” which I presume was an exaggeration to tease me, but it is certainly extremely popular, at least. Perhaps our Swedish mutants here can confirm or deny. :grin:

5 Likes

Don’t go to Iceland! :iceland:

4 Likes

Acrid salt spunk? Is there any other kind? :wink:

3 Likes

“so perhaps the Irish use something other than black as their universal color of licorice?”

Well, considering the colour of sweets made from licorice root is traditionally black I’d suggest the problem is with the grape colouring.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Looks very dark purple to me. Not sure it is really that hard to tell them apart.

Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 17.28.33

4 Likes

The best thing about liking licorice jelly beans is that you don’t have to fight anyone for them.

By the way, licorice toffee is the best of both worlds.

8 Likes

My dad loved Good n Plenty. I was team Good n Fruity. My wife picks out all the black jelly beans which is good because I hate them.

I had a freind that worked for AkzoNobel they loved their licorice, I mean really really loved their licorice. Something about Amsterdam, Netherlands.

Carly Simon sang the jingle.

3 Likes

My blood sugar level rises for a few weeks surrounding Halloween because of all the discarded black jellybeans I get to hoover up.

10 Likes

Thanks, Paddy!!! I feel like my Jelly Bean game just leveled up IRL w/o having to work for the xp. ^______^

Game Show Thank You GIF by Kinda Funny

2 Likes