Trader Joe’s delicious roasted salmonella recalled after testing positive for nuts

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/19/trader-joes-delicious-roasted-salmonella-recalled-after-testing-positive-for-nuts.html

6 Likes

:+1: for the headline! But seriously, if they remove the salt, how are they going to get any flavor without a little spicy Salmonella?

14 Likes

Listeria?

9 Likes

Too piney. Gotta get that authentic “twang.” (As in, your intestines twanging of the pot.)

9 Likes

Has there been any credible supposition about the abundance of Trader Joe’s product recalls and Trader Joe’s supply chain practices? And/or let’s hope the authorities are being as careful testing the goods on the ‘priced to move’ shelves of Budget Food Mart.

1 Like

Much of what Trader Joe’s sells is “private label.” In other words, it’s manufactured by another company, but placed in Trader Joe’s packaging by the manufacturer and placed on Trader Joe’s shelves. As a result, it’s unlikely that anything Trader Joe’s is doing is resulting in a high number of recalls. Depending on your level of skepticism, I’d either chalk it up to: (1) they err on the side of caution (and have better-than-average testing regimens in place) resulting in more recalls, or (2) they pay less than prevailing market prices, causing their suppliers to cut corners.

1 Like

I got worried for a while there, as I bought some cashews from TJ in that period. Luckily not one of the affected batches, because I’d already eaten most of them. Which is the problem with so many of these recalls - either the product was purchased to be eaten immediately (in which case, too late), or it wasn’t (in which case it was filed away for later use and I’m likely not thinking about it).

5 Likes

A decade ago we were promised that GS1 barcodes (the new and improved version of UPCs) would enable retailers to use shopper loyalty programs to contact purchasers of goods that were later recalled as tainted or dangerous.

I haven’t seen evidence that any stores are doing that yet.

2 Likes

We’ve gotten recall notices from Costco, but not from anything else.

6 Likes

Odd rebounding echo of a Monty Python sketch where John Cleese’s character comments on the total absence of cheese in a cheese shop, and of said shop, says this: “Well, it’s certainly uncontaminated by cheese.”

4 Likes

Hm.

2 Likes

Harris Teeter called me twice about the Quaker Oats recall. I think the recall was expanded between the two calls. I returned the product to them after the first call.

I’m pretty sure Harris Teeter knows every product I purchase from them. Eh, I can live with that. Use those sweet sweet gas discount points when driving my Bolt…

2 Likes

Costco is really good about notifying us of any recalls. My wife’s business relies on this. We got caught up in the Jif PeanutButter Recall several years back. They contacted us before it made the news.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.