Health and safety related recalls

Because we seem to have had a remarkable number of “if you buy this you might die” things lately. I won’t cross post all the stuff from the PSA BSA thread, but going forward, this will get those stories.

10 Likes

Good idea!

Cucumber recall…

9 Likes
10 Likes

ETA:
Speakers too. A3102

7 Likes
7 Likes
7 Likes

The supplements are not believed to be sold in the United States, but they are available in Mexico and can be ordered online, Wei, a second-year resident at the University of Southern California, Los Angeles, told Medscape Medical News .

Well, that answered my first question. No doubt that glucocorticoids make arthritis feel better. While they are destroying other systems. I am old enough to remember steroid-dependent asthmatics. This was a truly horrible thing, because although steroids are amazing for inflammation reduction, their side effect profile does not spare much of anything. And adding them into a supplement available OTC is pretty much unforgivable in my book. People will (and have been) be seriously hurt by this shit.

7 Likes

In Tuesday’s update, the FDA also expanded the products linked to the illnesses. In addition to all flavors of Diamond Shruumz’s Microdosing Chocolate Bars, the agency’s warning now covers all flavors of the brand’s Infused Cones and Micro Dose and Macro Dose Gummies.
According to the FDA, the most recent case fell ill on June 9. On June 7, the FDA issued its initial warning on Diamond Shruumz’s chocolates, reporting that eight people had been sickened in four states, with six people hospitalized. The agency advised the public not to sell, serve, buy, or consume the chocolates and instead discard them.
The candies are available nationwide. They are sold online—where they remain available for purchase as of Tuesday evening—and can also be found in various retail locations throughout the US, including smoke/vape shops and retailers that sell hemp-derived products.

I feel I need to question the idea of “microdosing” in this context. Anyway, be aware.

It remains unclear what exactly is in the candies and what could cause such severe toxicity. The company does not provide ingredient lists for its products on its website. The term “microdosing” typically suggests a small amount of psychedelic compound is present, and Diamond Shruumz markets its products as “trippy,” “psychedelic,” and “hallucinogenic.” But lab reports posted on Diamond Shruumz’s website indicate that its candies do not contain the notable mushroom-derived psychedelic compound, psilocybin.

7 Likes

This is going to be partial info, because I don’t have it all, but here goes. Just saw a kid with a bizarre story. Parents bought a car at auction and took it home. 2yo playing in said car, sticks his head out the window and accidently steps on the window control. Window rolls up on his neck. Parents try to get it to go down, but this model (She couldn’t remember what it was) will not roll down until it is full up. She said she had since learned that there was a recall on this car for this issue, but apparently had not been addressed before sale. Kid was unconscious when they finally used a rock to break the window. Had some neurological findings initially, but after a few days in ICU was fully recovered and back to being an ornery 2yo. Mom is about 20 years older than she was. Be aware of any active recalls on any vehicles you may have. It might seem like it’s not a big deal. Until it really, really is.

12 Likes

But, there remains no recall of the products—microdosing chocolates, gummies, and candy cones by Diamond Shruumz—linked to the severe and life-threatening illnesses. In the latest update from the Food and Drug Administration late Tuesday, the agency said that it “has been in contact with the firm about a possible voluntary recall, but these discussions are still ongoing.”

What the fuck, man! This makes no sense to me at all.

7 Likes

recalled products were distributed in California, Georgia, Iowa, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Utah and Washington.

5 Likes

Ok, fucking up coffee is hitting way to close to home!

6 Likes

Listeria in ice cream, sadly, is not that uncommon.

6 Likes

Muscimol, along with related ibotenic acid, are both key psychoactive components of some Amanita mushrooms. That includes the hallucinogenic toadstool mushroom A. muscaria var. muscaria , which is notable for its unique bright red-orange caps with white warts. Both muscimol and ibotenic acid resemble neurotransmitters, namely GABA and glutamate, respectively. Muscimol is associated with depression of the central nervous system, while Ibotenic acid is associated with excitation of the central nervous system.

There were several who speculated that misidentification of mushroom species might be the root of the issue, and it seems that was the case. Finally recalled, but the delay is ridiculous.

The agency had previously identified the undisclosed synthetic psychedelic compound 4-AcO-DMT in the company’s chocolates, as well as undisclosed compounds found in a potentially toxic Kava plant (Piper methysticum). It remains unclear if any of those compounds explain the illnesses.

Well, among other issues…

5 Likes

Michael Foods Inc. has issued a recall on approximately 4,620 pounds of liquid egg products that contained milk, which is a known allergen but was not declared on the product label, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service announced Sunday.

Well, that’s different, I guess. Still, uncool.

5 Likes
5 Likes

First coffee, now this?

If they come for the pepperoni rolls, it will be war!

5 Likes

Yeah, this is what happens when you underfund needed inspections…

6 Likes

At least they found it and recalled.

We still won’t eat bluebell.

6 Likes

They did, but we should have robust enough inspections that this stuff gets caught earlier and more often.

7 Likes