Recall alert: delicious lead dust tainted with ground cinnamon

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/07/recall-alert-delicious-lead-dust-tainted-with-ground-cinnamon.html

9 Likes

My family only eats artisanal, organic-certified lead dust from the classiest of retailers, thank you very much.

(/s, in case it wasn’t obvious)

3 Likes

My first thought was along the lines of, what the heck? Why is this showing up in all the discount brands. Isn’t all our food subject to the same scrutiny? Why didn’t they catch this?
Then I breathed and realized they did catch this and that’s why I’m hearing about it.
All those “govmint is bad” idiots can suck it. Govmint just saved untold numbers of kids who enjoy cinnamon toast from getting lead poisoning.

26 Likes

It’s an ongoing problem. But specifically the lead contamination is related to flat out greed. Lead is heavy, making the powder weigh heavier and make more money. The recent apple snack pack issue was only found because some of it was shipped to the US, when it was supposed to go to developing counties where the oversight is close to nonexistent. Guessing the issue here is similar, and why it seems to be an issue with Dollar Store type outlets? People suck, man.

18 Likes

This is what happens when politicians more interested in cutting taxes for the rich and preventing the IRS from pursuing rich tax evaders get power over the US budget and regulatory agencies. They too are hobbled and defunded. Leaving nothing for proactive testing of products and water that are ripe for contamination.

We need more funding and authority for the FDA. So they can do random testing.

Yes. The FDA did catch it, eventually, and hopefully now those companies are out of business. Protecting the people, the young children, in those other countries.Probably too much to hope for criminal charges in the countries where the lead was being added. Every country should have robust food and water regulation. This should be an international priority. Robust regulation everywhere. But it isn’t. Things like this are what the power and money of the US should be used for.

13 Likes

What the, and I emphasize this, the FUCK?

Voluntarily???

11 Likes

OK. I’m triggered. :exploding_head:

1 Like

Probably because there is no rule or statute setting a limit on lead contamination within spices. The FDA may not have the legal authority to force a recall

Is the lack of a limit on lead contamination in something we consume insane? Why yes, yes it is. But remember- the GOP has spent years limiting the power of the FDA and refusing to pass any law that expands regulatory power. For any regulatory agency.

Vote blue. Every time. Every election.

13 Likes

The lack of regulation leaves much of the monitoring of heavy metal levels to companies. CR contacted all the ones with products in our tests to see how they limited heavy metals.
Of the companies that replied to our questions—Al Wadi Al Akhdar, Costco, Bolner’s Fiesta, Gebhardt, Litehouse, McCormick, Roland Foods, Spice Islands, Target, and Whole Foods—a few said they require their suppliers to have a program for controlling or testing for heavy metals. But only three—Al Wadi Al Akhdar, Bolner’s Fiesta, and McCormick—specifically said they test products in their manufacturing plants for heavy metals.

9 Likes
6 Likes

“Attention, Boomers!”
I’m struggling to understand why you would begin this piece with that phrase. Would you start a piece with “Attention Mexicans!” or “Attention Disabled People?”
Older people aren’t all MAGA types and even if they were what is their special connection to ground cinnamon? In an age where everyone is encouraged to fall firmly and mockingly on one side of the blurriest line why contribute to that increasing tendency to emphasise social divisions. I’ve always thought of BoingBoing as libertarian and open-minded but this is Daily Mail/Fox News stuff.

Because in their day, a lot of products hat lead in them. Legally.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.