Taco Bell is recalling 2.3 million pounds of ground beef for metal shavings

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/15/taco-bell-is-recalling-2-3-mil.html

4 Likes

22 Likes

Totally metal, dude.

7 Likes

One would obviously prefer that the machinery not be doing that; but, in thinking about the relatively common use of radiation detection equipment in scrapyards to keep…irregular…isotopes out of the mix; I’d be curious to know how much it would cost to run the meat line through a metal detector(at the plant, not at point of sale), what the false positive/false negative situation would look like; and whether the contamination is actually elsewhere in the chain.

3 Likes

So, this isn’t the new Locos Intestinos Triturados meal special?

13 Likes

Important note, while it was only sent to distribution centers in 5 states, those were responsible for distributing further. I don’t see a link to the actual press release, so here’s one I found on their site: https://www.tacobell.com/news/taco-bell-seasoned-beef-voluntarily-recalled%20?selectedTag=&selectYear=2019

"As of 9 a.m. PDT, Monday, October 14, 2019, 100 percent of the affected restaurants in 21 states across the eastern Midwest, northern Southeast and Northeast regions impacted have confirmed product has been removed and discarded.

The states include: CT, DE, IL, IN, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, NC, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, TN, VA, VT, WV and Washington, D.C."

3 Likes

24 Likes

Somewhere in Taco Bell’s marketing department is a guy who’s bent out of shape because they didn’t take his advice and market it as the ‘Extra Crunchy Macho Taco’

9 Likes

Approximately the weight of 13,000 people or 5000 cows.
Dry foods like wheat, grains are so full of stuff they go through magnets and chemicals.
But that’s like sewage treatment, just gets the chunks.
Food needs distribution.

3 Likes

… and no one could tell.

2 Likes

…wait, there’s MEAT in Taco Bell tacos?!

9 Likes

From my extensive research*, this is already common practice in many food production plants.

*research = watching too many episodes of “how it’s made”

8 Likes

Bet they didn’t get their iron.

4 Likes

Yo quiero the emergency room

5 Likes

Weird, I found meat in my metal shavings.

8 Likes

Think I know who’s behind this:

4 Likes

That explains their new slogan: Die más

3 Likes

truly brutal–

11 Likes
2 Likes

Indeed. And quality control typically will put metal objects through the line to ensure they are detected.

Same research sources.

2 Likes