A 300-year-old lemon just sold for $1,750

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/05/300-year-old-lemon-just-sold-for-1750.html

5 Likes

Answers the question of what’s a pre-GMO lemon worth.

2 Likes

My lemon was newer and sold for around $4K. It was a 2007 Mini Cooper with John Cooper Works.

14 Likes

Miss E Baxter was probably like me - someone who saves something exotic for “something special”, only to never end up using/eating it in time. :frowning:

11 Likes

When I saw the headline I was thinking it was a reference to a crappy french car that was built in the 1700’s. You know the one:

https://www.arts-et-metiers.net/musee/fardier-vapeur

Per Wikipedia, it was a real hunk of junk.

5 Likes

JD Power and Associates gave it Best in Class for 1770.

6 Likes

Is the buyer planning on holding a lemon party?

1 Like

Just think what it would’ve brought in if you’d inscribed it!

1 Like

Somewhat serious aside: the 19th century cabinet it was found in went at auction for $40.

There are bazillions of pieces of exquisite furniture made in past centuries that at the time sold for thousands in real terms, but are now basically worthless. They won’t go with any modern interiors (unless you want some last-scenes-in-2001 look); you can’t put a computer on a C17th writing desk, and nobody has room for half of it any more anyway with average urban occupancy rates being like 1.5 people or something.

6 Likes

Hey, that’s nothing; the asking price for this lemon is 80 - 90 grand; and you can’t even take it home with you.

@Malarkey

@gilgongo “Open the bijou furniture store door, HAL.”

6 Likes

Imagine the value of that lemon if it had been in mint condition, and not all marked up by some randy suitor.

1 Like

Yeah, I continue the digression, but it’s crazy. I’m in Maine and we can find really nice pieces (not Louis XIV or anything, but early 1900s, well-crafted stuff) for under $100. I saw a Secretary desk with upper shelves with glass doors and a fold-out felted writing desk with little cubbies, drawers underneath, for $75 last summer. It was one of several similar items at this big barn sale venue.
I seem to recall just 10 or 20 years ago those items would be at least around the $250 mark.

8 Likes

Happy is the shopper who is out of step with the fashion à la mode. :+1:

Edit to add definite article.

6 Likes

I should have!

2 Likes

12 Likes

Someone’s planning to make the most expensive loomi tea ever.

2 Likes

The Rock later sold his stake in the beverage company to Mike.

1 Like

Sadly, the lemon did not reach Miss Baxter in time to save her from the scurvy.

Mr P La Franchini surely (cursive defeats auctioneers)?

Were lemons sufficiently exotic to be romantic gifts? Was a lemon valentine like a vinegar valentine?

3 Likes