A 90-year-old man bought a print ad in the Wall Street Journal just to complain about AT&T

I approve of his message based solely on his use of the term “shabbily.”
Well, done, sir! I thought, while buttoning my waistcoat and fastening my spats.

4 Likes

Only if they get beaten by goons for complaining about it and they are absolutely not allowed to quit before their alloted time. You gotta get the full tour.

2 Likes

It’s complicated. The company doing business as “AT&T” today is actually Southwestern Bell, one of the Baby Bells that was brought into being when the original AT&T was broken up in 1984. Over the years, it acquired many of the other Baby Bells (those that CenturyLink, or Bell Atlantic aka Verizon, didn’t get), and then bought the remaining husk of AT&T, which was its long distance business.

Back in the days when local dialup BBS systems reigned supreme, Southwestern Bell was infamous for its proposal to surcharge dialup modem users in its territory. That naturally got twisted into the “modem tax” urban legend.

Which telco did he use before AT&T?

2 Likes

My condolences.

I’ve been through that exact issue, in an office environment [ETA: no real high-speed service] no less, and it’s no fun. A router that can prioritize traffic can help a lot; it can let your VoIP and/or Zoom out unhindered while random web browsing, the torrent client, or the smart speaker in the corner get whatever’s left over.

One of the worst examples I saw in the mid-2000s was an industrial area where the best you could get was 144 Kbps “IDSL” service. That used BRI ISDN (a technological dead-end) to carry internet service. Only slightly better than dialup…

1 Like

In theory mine can (it’s a Netgear R7000p). However, it doesn’t work as advertised. Even on the lowest priority, they will happily destroy my upstream bandwidth.

I am starting to think that it doesn’t actually deserve the rave reviews everyone seems to give it.

2 Likes

I’m glad you specified it was the car company. Otherwise I could imagine a rant like “Other planets have rings, such as Jupiter, Uranus, and Neptune, but nobody makes a big deal about theirs!”

3 Likes

It’s comforting to know that even large corporations will still bend over backward to cater to you as long as you have 10k lying around with which to shame them.

1 Like

I had a 2007 S with John Cooper Works.

Mr. Bean’s problems began at about 20K miles - 2K miles over Virginia’s Lemon Law. He began eating oil like a beater and it kept messing up his timing chain tensioner. Whenever I took him in for an oil change, they found $900 worth of something or other that needed to be fixed.

After the clutch went at 84K miles the check engine light came on and he needed new tires. I couldn’t take it anymore and traded him in.

Until Mr. Bean, I’d never traded in a car with less than about 120K miles on it.

3 Likes

I feel your pain. I guess I can be grateful that ours is only starting to get expensive at 120k miles. But I fear bigger bills and am advocating to sell it.

2 Likes

Haven’t read the whole thread yet, but thought it might be worth mentioning PfSense/OpnSense, you can do proper bandwidth control, VPN (Ipsec. OpenVPN, wireguard and others), VLANs, plus good firewalling, and loads of stuff I won’t bother listing. You can runit on your own hardware, buy a small dedicated device, or even run it as a VM, just kick the Netgear down to modem functionality…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.