FCC will fix America's shitty internet by declaring fast internet access unimportant to Americans

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/08/10/hear-no-evil.html

1 Like

I have complete faith that the free market will fix this problem.

…Hopefully by voting out the current crop of corporate sycophants in future elections.

7 Likes

I get a few chuckles from these…

7 Likes

Well, doesn’t matter to me - I can’t get broadband by either definition where I am, I’m pretty sure.

4 Likes

How long until Ajit Pai decides that Internet cooperatives are anti-competitive in rural areas since they compete with the telcos he protects? My bet is six months but I might be too optimistic here.

6 Likes

Brilliant. Now let’s look around for some more goalposts to move. The poverty line is obviously set way too high, so if we take that down to, I dunno, an income of $50/year for individuals, we can pretty much wipe out poverty in the US. Thanks, President Trump.

For our next trick, we’ll address the “Americans without health insurance” metric by saying that anyone who doesn’t have health insurance isn’t American. And there’s an end to the ‘horrifying nightmare’ of Obamacare, with its millions of uninsured.

16 Likes

<sarcasm>A bold new vision to jump-start American innovation.</sarcasm>

Just think of all the tech manufacturing jobs we could bring back to America! After all, it’s not like we’ll be able to buy obsolete devices that still work on our networks from the rest of the world as they move up the technology tree. Heck, this might even be the first step to rapprochement and tech-sharing with North Korea!

3 Likes

This fucking guy…

12 Likes

That’s what I thought until I checked out there map of broadband. They said I was covered, when all I had was 3Gb of 3G cell. I could of got DirecTV, but I would have had to cut down about 6 trees, which is why I moved to that house.

about that …

You ever get the feeling this country is walking backwards into Hell?

4 Likes

tumblr_inline_o7ldh7nQYS1rl31vl_500

12 Likes

i feel more like we are being pushed.

8 Likes

You’re all such whiners. I can remember when 56kbits was revolutionary!

6 Likes

Luxury, When I got “Online” I had a 300 baud vic-modem and dreamed of an elite 1200 baud modem.

Then again this is how things look for me now:

Capture

10 Likes

Forgive my ignorance, but I didn’t know America had “shitty internet”. I’m happy with my internet.

1 Like

we’re all low pinging bastards, now.

1 Like

Came here to see that head/table gif… am not disappointed.

1 Like

“Providence and Manifest Destiny are synonyms often invoked to support arguments founded in wishful thinking.”

– Frank Herbert (Whipping Star)

2 Likes

This is from a few years ago, but it’s definitely not getting better.

3 Likes