A beautiful classic Star Trek Tricorder

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/06/07/a-beautiful-classic-star-trek.html

2 Likes

6 Likes

“I also like the smaller medical tricorder, which was just a salt shaker during filming of TOS.”

Unless this mockup’s smaller medical tricorder will come with some sort of sci-fi related function, I suggest that it be sold with salt shaker-capability; Trekkies gotta eat too, you know.

4 Likes

pardon me while I am nerding out - I believe the smaller device was not a small tricorder, but just a medical sensor that relayed data back to the tricorder - you’ll note its always used in conjunction with the full size device.

3 Likes

I like mine fresh. Not from the shaker.

4 Likes

But can it play Asteroids?

1 Like

Please doublecheck your link – it goes to the TOS communicator, which although it is cool as well, is not the Tricorder.

1 Like

Correct. The Desilu Props Department also installed a small, battery-operated spinner inside the clear plastic top housing of the medical sensor. The salt shakers were actually part of Dr. McCoy’s array of surgical instruments, usually referred to on-screen as “laser scalpels”.

1 Like

I love classic 23rd century design!

5 Likes

Man I would have loved this as a kid. I improvised my own by drawing with crayons on a short piece of 2x4.

3 Likes

I wanted a Wrath of Khan tricorder to go with my Wrath of Khan ‘monster maroon’ uniform, but even compared to the TOS tricorders, they looked clunky. Since when does design move backward?

1 Like

“I have always wanted a TRI-Function reCORDER.”

Pah! I want an OMNICORDER.

Anyway, back in the day I managed to get hold on an early Phillips cassete tape recorder. The one originally intended for office use as a dictaphone with the one-knob-control. Came in a faux leather case with a shoulder strap. Close enough for kiddies doing a bit of Star Trek LARPing in a mid-1970ies backyard. Not that anyone used the term LARP then. We were just kids playing and having fun.

1 Like

Maybe they were the phablet of tricorders.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.