Cutlery from 2001: A Space Odyssey is available on Amazon

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/05/cutlery-from-2001-a-space-ody.html

6 Likes

That’s not a fork. That’s a threek.

15 Likes

Another thing I love about this scene is that the tablet device provided “prior art” to refute some of Apple’s design patent claims for the iPad, enabling other manufacturers to make similar devices.

9 Likes

Beautiful, perhaps, and certainly minimalist.

But they don’t have a drip notch or lip or other interruption of the handle’s shank to prevent runny sauces from soiling your fingers.

1 Like

I guess hands and mouths in Denmark are shaped differently than where I live.

2 Likes

Lovely! Maybe a little too narrow for my taste, but as a system they are very nice.

1 Like

The Amazon reviews say the set is comfortable to use. But are cheap Chinese knockoffs made with inferior grade metal. I wouldn’t pay $100 for a single set even if they really flew in space.
Now that design with titanium…

plus, what the hell are you going to do with a single set of cutlery? Add it to the Salvation Army that is your silver drawer?

5 Likes

You only need the one set, for Dave; HAL handled bytes his own way.

10 Likes

Open that pod bay door Hal. Mr. mashed peas is gonna fly right in. Who’s a cute little AI?

11 Likes

I’m sorry Dave, I’m afraid I can’t order those.

5 Likes

It’s been fifty years. The future is not what it used to be.

(it never was, come to think of it)

The shape of the spoons’ ‘bowls’ would also allow runny stuff to escape when in use. Form over function equals art.

3 Likes

Everything from 2001 is fair game, even when it involves a bowel movement:

3 Likes

Doesn’t pass the prison safety test.

2 Likes

On the other hand, it was an early example of vertical video. BBC 12 has not yet come to pass, but…

The future is now, but it’s all going wrong.
– The The, Perfect

1 Like

Gravity well problems.

3 Likes

No spork! No sale…

1 Like

Indeed. Back in the 1980s when I was an undergrad, a satirical student government party at UW-Madison was outraged that our cafeterias only had three-pronged “threeks” rather than forks. So they raided the cafeterias of Notre Dame to bring back forks. The administration of both schools made them give them back, but it was a noble effort!

3 Likes