Cutlery from 2001: A Space Odyssey is available on Amazon

I’ll use it to eat dinner in the front seat of my car while my Tesla kills me.

2 Likes

You can order more than one set.

If you’re rich.

2 Likes

The carousel in Discovery can’t have spun at much more than a tenth of a g, so drips may not have been considered a serious problem.

1 Like

As the son of a Tupperware Lady, while I was first watching the original Star Wars movie back in 1977 I spotted the Tupperware pitcher that Luke was using to pour himself some blue milk while eating with his Uncle Lars and Aunt Beru on the moisture farm on Tatooine. We had a couple just like it at home.

3 Likes

The Mars habitat in The Martian has reading lamps from IKEA.

3 Likes

Come to think of it, the all-time master of ‘using household objects as SF props’ must be Space Patrol:

1 Like

That kinda makes sense, since all of that stuff was of terrestrial origin - though I suspect that props from IKEA was a choice made by Hollywood and not NASA. :grinning:

The Martian 2 : no allen wrench…

1 Like

All this talk of modern objects as futuristic props (remember the original Star Trek’s salt shakers?) reminds me of the film Gattaca, which actually uses antique objects to portray the future; it’s a retrofuturistic tour de force in my opinion. Flaminio Bertoni cars, Eliot Noyes and Frank Lloyd Wright buildings, and much much more.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.