A bill to fix America's most dangerous computer law

[Permalink]

4 Likes

FIX it? It works perfectly…

7 Likes

As far as ebooks. A Nook with calibre will handle your ebooks.

4 Likes

Love Calibre, don’t really like the constant updates though.

1 Like

Thanks, a serious step in the right direction.

1 Like

A big part of the reason Macintosh lost most of its market share was closed architecture. By the time they reversed the mistake, the damage was done. So maybe Keurig wants you to buy DRM coffee? My Mister Coffee works just fine with whatever brand I like… and the machine cost about $20. Explain to me why I would want the locked machine again?

Nevertheless, corporations keep pushing and pushing to lock things up. I suspect they don’t even care if they lose profits, as long as they can punish evildoers. They say corporations exist to maximize profits, but I’ve seen so many examples of irrational behavior.

9 Likes

People are literally risking their life to try and stop the corrupting effect of lobby money in politics (ultralight guy). This is the issue of our time. Do your part and ask candidates to take a strong stance advocating for publicly funded elections. I hate to be cynical but this bill will not pass until the lobbyists are kicked out.

3 Likes

But, surely America has signed an international treaty by now that requires it to outlaw circumvention of technical measures?

I keep losing track of what’s in which international treaty on copyright or trade, but I guess that’s part of the plan.

4 Likes

Our main weapon is confusion and denial… our two main weapons are confusion, denial and obfuscation… oh, and we’ve always been at war with Eurasia…

3 Likes

The author mentions its a no-brainer and proceeds to use examples that would scare the crap out of a politician with big business interests. Also:

" Even more important: this runs directly contrary to the NSA’s plan to make it technically impossible and illegal to run software they can’t spy on. That only works if you don’t have the right to jailbreak your devices."

Again, scaring politicians shitless. And yes I agree with everything in the article. But i don’t consider it a no-brainer in other people’s point of view (ie: politicians). I do hope some level of change happens

2 Likes

there is no government interference more odious than a law that literally criminalizes doing legal things

Sadly, all laws (by definition) criminalize doing legal things.

1 Like

[quote=“morcheeba, post:11, topic:55782, full:true”]Sadly, all laws (by definition) criminalize doing legal things.
[/quote]

…he said, in a thread about new law that would decriminalize doing currently-illegal things.

1 Like

I believe what Cory is saying here is that this should not be a partisan issue, and “No True Republican” should oppose it on its merits. Reality is a bit different, though, and I’m confident that Cory knows this, and that he is aware of Poe’s Law as well.

Maybe I should have included the full context:

So, Cory is trying to argue that this law should be overturned because it criminalizes doing legal things… which isn’t much of an argument at all. It was a law passed with certain intents (to allow a company that manufactured an item to have extra rights) and it accomplished those intents. If you disagree with those new powers bestowed, that’s a good argument… but if you disagree with this law because it makes things once-legal things now illegal, that’s a poor argument.

Openness and innovation go together. So do lockdown and stagnation. Tim Wu’s The Master Switch describes it beautifully. …read my insightful review here!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.